CS #93 - Did you HEAR that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was taken on one of the only hot days we've had this summer out at Willow Creek. SW of here in ranching country...wide open almost no trees except by the creek. My neighbour has a gift he can pick up almost any bug and put it on his arm and it will just sit there...this guy sang and sang...its that hot chirping of summer that I just love....and you seldom get a close up view of the singer!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barb

This was taken on one of the only hot days we've had this summer out at Willow Creek. SW of here in ranching country...wide open almost no trees except by the creek. My neighbour has a gift he can pick up almost any bug and put it on his arm and it will just sit there...this guy sang and sang...its that hot chirping of summer that I just love....and you seldom get a close up view of the singer!
Barb
Wow Barb! Nice shot. Those guys are definitely noisy. I can hear the chirping now. :)

Bob, you have no reason to be ashamed. We have a hummer or 2 by our house, and despite my best efforts, I have yet to catch the elusive little buggers. I love you shot! Thanks for posting it

Barb

Taking away the fact that little bug beasties freak me out a little .lol. Great shot. I can hear the chirping.. :cool:

Thunder at the beach

I love the sounds and smell of the Pacific Ocean

THAT Is a magnificent wave crash. I can hear the sea hitting the rocks in the picture. Where was this taken?

I have spent a many day along the coast on 17 mile Drive in Monterey.. such beauty is begging to be captured.

The Diva

A Marsh Wren with a love song for all to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
THAT Is a magnificent wave crash. I can hear the sea hitting the rocks in the picture. Where was this taken?

I have spent a many day along the coast on 17 mile Drive in Monterey.. such beauty is begging to be captured.
Why thank you! You were very close on the location... this was taken at the Mavericks just outside of Half moon bay Ca.

True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)
These are all so great! I can't believe you got that chirper to sit on your friend's arm to pose Maraya. Wow!

Northwood, I can hear AND smell that surf. I miss the west coast. Heck, I miss the east coast. I miss the ocean. That shot is spectacular. I love the Marsh wren too. Cute as can be. We don't get them in my parts.

Here are a couple taken Saturday-

Breaking the silence on a quiet mountain road...

So quiet out the shutter rings in your ears...

I love the sounds and smell of the Pacific Ocean
A Marsh Wren with a love song for all to hear.
I LOVE the wave shot! That's absolutely amazing. Being born and raised in land-locked Illinois, pictures are the closest thing I get to seeing the surf. This is one of the finer wave crashes I've seen, and yes, I can hear it, too. I can't say that I smell it, as I don't really know the smell of salt spray, but I'll take your word for it. :)

The wren is also fantastic. That's exactly the type of singing bird picture I was hoping to see. He's even got his eyes partially closed. I love it!

Here are a couple taken Saturday-

Breaking the silence on a quiet mountain road...

So quiet out the shutter rings in your ears...
Jeff, I'm so glad you posted these! Motorcycles definitely have a sound to them. I really like the multiple bikes spaced along the road. The deer are phenomenal. I definitely know the still sound you're talking about...and that shutter really can be LOUD when it's so quiet!

This sure has been a great CS theme with almost unlimited room for interpretation and subject matter – baseball, bikes, birds, bugs, deer, food, kids, music (?), water falling, water splashing, weather, and more. Great contributions. Thank you Michelle!

Thanks to Michelle for being a wonderful host, and to everyone for contributing your shots and comments.

Our next host will be raygun-check back later in the week to see what he has in store for us. :smile:

I broke the bank and was in row 2 in front of Sting. It's a whole different concert up front. I'm spoiled now for every other concert. :eek:
How did you get your camera in there though? Usually they don't allow cameras. I love doing concert photos, but I've always had to sneak a smaller camera in. I'd love to get my Nikon in with my 70-300mm lens :)

Carole

True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)
How did you get your camera in there though? Usually they don't allow cameras. I love doing concert photos, but I've always had to sneak a smaller camera in. I'd love to get my Nikon in with my 70-300mm lens :)

Carole

Carol,

We need to talk. :wink: I took my 70-300VR into 2 Police concerts a year ago as well. I wasn't nearly as happy with them as the 85mm of course - just not fast enough glass so a lot of blur. Now I'm using my 85mm1.4. Hopefully I'll get good enough with it that my concert photos will improve. Take a peak at my John Mayer pix on my flickr.com site. They're my 1st with the 1.4D.
You ought to be able to get the D50 in with strategic smuggling.

Sorry for the hijack folks. Back to regular programming....

Bob that's a great hummer! Why do the men always look so pretty? Why don't the females get to put on their red dresses???? lol
The men wear brightly colored feathers to attract the gals.

But once they've had their way, they lose interest and the little ladies are on their own. They have to build a nest, tend the eggs until they hatch, and feed the chicks until they fledge.

View attachment 223006

They don't have time for fashion... and bright clothes would just make them easy targets for predators while they nest. But when the light hits them just right, you can see they wear gold under their feathers.

View attachment 223007

Oh Frank I am so glad I checked out the thread again...this is a really great series. I love the mini nest with the guy with his "work clothes" on.
Thanks for the great post.
Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom