CS #94 - Good fences make good neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in New Hampshire people get a bit carried away by this expression, and can spend as much time and money on their fences as they do on the rest of the house! Expensive wooden fences can cost more than $44/foot, which must mean you are a REALLY good neighbor! May explain why there are so many stone walls in this neck of the woods...

Please post up to 3 or 4 pictures per person, with the posting starting tonight (July 24th, 2008), and ending in a week (July 31st, 2008). Please keep the dimensions and file size within the 900+ pixel width, unless, of course you have to post your newest pano of the entire fence around your yard (lol). Also, you may post old or new images, but new ones would, of course, show your dedication and commitment, and garner the everlasting admiration of your fellow NikonCafe threaders!

Here are my contributions:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PatS45

You have set some high standards. I especially like the middle one. Great choice of subject for the challenge.

Pat

My Neighbor

I must be a crappy neighbor... This construction is going on next door:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice lighting Keith

I really like the lighting. Just curious if it was necessary to shoot at night due to the neighbors being sensitive about their "project"? Looks like they want some serious privacy...

Best way to deal with such things is to grow some greenery along the fences that hides all that lumber. Does ivy grow in your climate? :smile:

I really like the lighting. Just curious if it was necessary to shoot at night due to the neighbors being sensitive about their "project"? Looks like they want some serious privacy...

Best way to deal with such things is to grow some greenery along the fences that hides all that lumber. Does ivy grow in your climate? :smile:

The neighbors are actually very nice, the landlord was just cheap when he built the place, and didn't extend the fence to enclose the side door to the duplex. They are having that fixed.

By the way, what makes you think that this was shot at night?

Took this shot on the West Coast of Scotland last month.There must be neighbours.............
......somewhere.:confused:

V.

Thanks veloman, keith and bob c.!

The stone wall may have held a few muskets, but most likely for hunting wild game. I'm pretty sure there were no Revolutionary battles there, although the Mollie Stark cannon was connected to that town, and I think any skirmishes with native Americans took place elsewhere; however, the farmhouse attached surely goes back a long time...

Keith's shot looked to me like a night shot due to the tonality of the light. I supposed the light in the sky was moonlight. Was it shot day-for-night?

Veloman, could that fence in Scotland be a boundary between sheep and cattle, which caused bloody battles in early Western America? Or, might it be there to keep one species of heather out of the other owner's field? :smile:

Keith's shot looked to me like a night shot due to the tonality of the light. I supposed the light in the sky was moonlight. Was it shot day-for-night?
Not a bad thing that you think it was at night... that was my intent (eventually):biggrin:

I shot it close to sunset, during the day. I tried to bracket the exposure from a tripod, and when I did the HDR I wasn't happy with the tones. So... I did a black and white in CS3, and played with the color sliders until I got the desired result.

I'm glad it fooled ya:wink: I was trying my best to make it look like a night shot once I decided the HDR sucked:mad:

Hey raygun -

Great theme with fine contributions already. Yours, Keith's and V.'s are super.

Here's a March 2007 shot, soon after I picked up the Sigma 30 f/1.4 and was trying it out. I'd have shot this with less exaggerated DOF these days; I hope to get out to take something current during this CS.

Kansas abolished the "open range" idea (still going in WY, etc.) in 1867, and folks could be paid the tidy sum of $0.40 per rod were they to erect and maintain fences of 4.5 feet high (non-SI English system units, I know - lol). Lots of limestone near the surface around here, so that was one of the materials of choice . . .

Eric

Caught these today on my day off. Here are 2 fences from my favorite drive in ranch country south and west of here. Further south it is open range with "cattle guards" or Texas Gates to stop the critters from wandering too far....signs are posted at each cattle guard reminding you that there is stock at large and there is usually ample evidence plopped on the road as you drive along just in case you forget.

The first shot is the fence that goes forever and the second is a fence next to a pioneer barn of hand hewn wood...old around here is usuallyonly around 100 + years. the 3rd is the fence that keeps the cars in on the Kananaskis Trail...its a steep drop down to the Highwood river below!

65mm, f 13, 1/90, ISO 200

18mm, f 9.5 ,1/125, ISO 200

24mm, f 9.5, 1/250 , ISO 200

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Eric, Barb and Keith...

Barb- Beautiful country in your pictures. Hard to believe it could even be fenced in. I can see why there is a strong guard rail along that one stretch as it would be hard to keep your eyes on the road with those mountains in the background!

Eric- I always picture fence posts and barbed wire in the plains states, but are you saying that folks used limestone as well to make their 5-foot stone walls? I've read some old documents from New England history that required residents to maintain 5-rail fences to avoid being fined. Apparently losing a cow in those days (1600's) was a serious thing.

Keith- I've tried some HDR's and have found that it doesn't really work with skies that are blown out and have little detail. HDR loves big puffy clouds where you can really bring out the tonal variations. The ground subject matter also has to have extreme dark areas, so that the end result is fine detail from deep blacks to bright whites. You might want to try the Photomatic demo version to see all the possibilities...

Limestone wall

Wow! Eric, the first time I read your post the picture was not appearing, so I did not know that you had shot a limestone wall. I was not aware that these existed in the plains states. I've seen some in southern England, but not in the U.S. Does the limestone out there have fossils in it? It must since it's made by ocean sediment...

Here's what we use for longevity in a wall in New Hampshire (the "Granite State"). Shot with 85 f/1.4 and D300:

While we have good neighbors....

This fence is just decorative, being a place for my wife to plant some of her flowers. D300 and Tamron 17-50

Along our front walk...

and the back side of our fence...
View attachment 226248

When you're sick to death with all that DIY,turn the tools into a fence.

V.

When you're sick to death with all that DIY,turn the tools into a fence.

V.
Neat fence. That would keep me from misplacing my tools all the time.:biggrin:

Thanks Buckeye Biker and Veloman!

BB- Who says that fence is just decorative? Looks like its doing a very good job of holding the garden together! Beautiful flowers you have there...

Veloman- When you do need to use one of your tools from the gate, do you bring the object over to the fence and just turn the object? :smile: By the way, are you anywhere near Crediton in Devon?

Raygun,About 15 miles,thats about 2 hours driving now that the holiday season has started:biggrin:Do you have a connection with Crediton?

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom