1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS #96 - Farmers markets and produce stands

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by waltny, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Welcome all, this weeks theme for the Collective Shoot is Farmer's Markets. Ever since I was a small child, these among other things truely signified full fledged summer. As Ive also lived in various parts of the country I know they are everywhere and come in all shapes, sizes and items sold.
    I have been lobbing Dave to do this and finally got a call on the CS red phone this morning as another member had family obligations that prevented them to host this week. So on short notice I went out and hastily got some sample photos

First up is the seasonal fixed facility.
    cs96succo.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Second is the stand on the corner or in a parking lot
    View attachment 237371

Third is a u-pick'em farm
    View attachment 237372

View attachment 237373

These are just a few of the possiblities. There are also the farmers markets that they have usually at a town square or park on Saturday mornings.
    So get out there and see what you can discover.
    We will begin shooting right after CS#95 ends and run through till next Wednesday evening your time(13 Aug 23:59).

I almost forgot...
    Im not going to limit the number of photos you post to the thread and I would like to make it a play off of Harry's CS#95 use of perspective. Lets see some wide shots, some close ups and everything inbetween if possible. Take us there....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  2. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Our farmer's market was yesterday, but...

Here are some from last year:

DSC_6494.jpg

DSC_6492.jpg

3. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  4. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    Berries at the Farmers Market

I've already posted these over on Lens Lust but thought this would be an appropriate addition to get the thread moving. These shots were taken at the Hillsboro Oregon Farmers Market at Orenco station. The Blueberries are at there peak here. I'm looking forward to adding more and seeing what everyone else comes up with.

DSC_2615.gif

View attachment 237378

View attachment 237379

View attachment 237380

5. tamplum

tamplum

Feb 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    What a perfect topic. Going to the "Berry Picking Farm" tomorrow morning. Hoping to get something worthy

6. Northwood - Mouthwatering photos :) 

7. zeus1

zeus1

Dec 14, 2006
    Belgium
    Some from Belgium... Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p19132880-4.png

8. A couple from me, from last year, all taken at a local farm stand. I think the stand attendant thought I was nuts when I asked him if I could photograph these vegetables. I just thought they were so pretty. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    From my neighbor’s stand

Picked this morning, eaten for supper:biggrin:

[​IMG]

10. Not many of these around here anymore. The independent farmers are having a tough time during the drought down here.

Here's one that is still hanging in there.
    101432852.gif

MikeT

11. Okay, Tim, you're on!

Largest farmstand in the Pioneer Valley.

Wide Perspective:

[​IMG]

Flower's eye view:

[​IMG]

Even have their own very large greenhouse for spring flowers:

[​IMG]

But, also a picture from one of the smallest....a small farmers market tucked away down a side street in Northampton, MA:

[​IMG]

Is it time to pack up yet?

[​IMG]

Perhaps some more tomorrow. Boy those vegetable shots are scrumptious looking. My mouth is watering.

12. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Ah yes, well done Harry. Exactly the balance I was looking for. Due to lack of communication with my wife I missed out on the local farmers market today but I know where there are some stands and fixed facilities I can hit up. Thanks for your great contributions.

13. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    The wine stands are usually the most popular stops....

14. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
  15. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    You should be able to smell these Tim:biggrin::biggrin:

[​IMG]

16. Great topic for a shoot! Here are a couple shots from this morning, from Greenbelt Maryland. It was actually my first time to a farmers market in the US. It was ok, but I REALLY miss the Saturday markets in Germany. I remember the one in Mainz was great. Are there any Germans that would care to contribute to this thread??

@Northwood: I love those berry shots! I attempted a few today, but I focused a little close (still learning on my new 50 1.8 - it's fun!). I'll have to keep practicing to get some as good as yours. And they do look delicious!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kristin

17. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow this was harder than I thought

Just my second time at one of these. Seemed simple, but was hard for me to capture anything worthwhile, except I like #1 pic ok. Possibly this week I can get out and take some pictures of the produce, maybe not.

Thanks for a REAL CHALLENGE!!!

Produce%20Stand%201.png

Produce%20Stand%202.png

18. tamplum

tamplum

Feb 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    U-Pick it BERRY Farm:

Produce Stand:

[​IMG]

Not Quite Ripe Yet:

[​IMG]

Pretty as a Berry:

[​IMG]

Once figured out what to pick (ate a few bitter ones first) he was a pro:

[​IMG]

19. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    This is exactly what I had in mind when posed the theme for the collective shoot. I missed mine due to a miscommunication with my wife on Saturday.... I shall redeem myself today though. Well done

Yes the canalope is over ripe!:biggrin:

Glad your enjoying the challenge aspect of it. I enjoy both submissions. I do agree that #1 is more pleasing. I will say that some of my best recent photos have been taken during and for a CS .

Love the berry shots, I remember the first few times when we took my oldest daughter to a u pick blueberry farm.... New shirt was needed. Same with the strawberry farm, but what fun they are! They only have a few here and are out of my range with gas was so outragous.

Thanks for the submission, those peaches look like Id pick up a peck or two.
    Dont get discouraged on that 50/1.8, it is a great lens. I really got to know mine during the july one prime challenge. It is a very versitile lens and you can do some great things with it. Lately its that or the 10.5 on the camera, beginning to think its all I need....

20. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks! and yes they were great.

Thanks Kristin, I took a buisness trip to Munich a few years back and stayed at a pensione near the Marienplatz. I decided to stay an extra day to do some site seeing. Walked out the front door and found myself in the middle of Munich's Saturady market. It was one of the best memories of the trip....that and the beer gardens :tongue: Your pictures are just fine, I like the peaches. keep posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.