1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS #98 - The world looks good in black and white

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by J.Alan, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK. You've got a Nikon camera. You love to take a photograph. You love those nice, bright colors, greens of summers, and think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah.

But, what would you do if mama took your Kodachrome (color imaging sensor) away? How would the world look then? Would it match your imagination? Would it leave you far from home? The world could still look good in black and white.

For this shoot, submit images in black and white, so we can tell just how good the world can look.

Submission period starts immediately and will end at your local midnight on Wednesday, August 28, 2008. Remember to keep within the etiquette boundaries of the Cafe. Good skill, and hope to see some interesting images.

(OK. Mama's told me she is feeling guilty... . If you would like, you may colorize an element of your composition if you feel it would add to the message of what you are trying to convey.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    The World in B&W

Taken in May 2007 inside Longwood Gardens Orchid display Original shot in color, Nikon D200, available light.

DSC_4007-1.

DSC_4018-1.

3. Taken a few months ago:

Absolute black and white

Taken a couple years ago :

Shades of gray

View attachment 241753

4. A gentle reminder, the idea of a Collective Shoot is that people go out and shoot NEW photos during the time frame, that fit the idea presented. Thus, the works submitted here should be new shots, taken between now and Wednesday.

Thanks! :smile:

5. Thank you, Gretchen, for

the reminder. I should have included that information.

However, we have gotten some nice submissions and I appreciate the fine images, so far.

6. Nice start Sanford

The BW conversion is excellent, IMHO. I love the sharpness of the first image.

7. Hi, Nathan.

Glad you have made a submission. I really like the composition of the glasses. The bird looks a bit lonely there :) 

8. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Almost b&w to begin with:

Here are some shots that might as well have been b&w:

jlh_7490.
    NIKON D300    ---    18mm    f/5.0    1/800s    ISO 400

jlh_6099b.
    NIKON D300    ---    40mm    f/14.0    1/640s    ISO 200

dsc_7314.
    NIKON D50    ---    110mm    f/5.0    1/1250s   

9. Hi, raygun

Thanks for the contribution. I know what you mean. Trees and barns really lend themselves to B&W, (at least that has been my experience), and you show that this is true for you, too.

10. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    I shoot more in B&W than in color. My eson 4800 allows wonderful B&W prints:smile:

original.
    original.
    NIKON D80    ---    55mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 100

original.

11. Don't bee-little me

OK, I have to say these may look better in color, but not bad B&W. And it took so many darn shots to get a bee infocus while flying, jeez. AF-S or not, the little buggers won't just hover in one place for me!

View attachment 241761

D3, 70-300 VR (first), 60mm micro (2nd), NX2 for the PP with some seletive curves on the bee to make it stand out a bit more....

Regards,
    Peter G (Corsairvelo)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  12. Kevin, these

are quite nice. I especially love the boats. Even my spouse had to comment that she, too, was taken with that particular shot.

13. Peter, thanks for the

submission. The bee almost wants to jump out of the screen in the first one. There is very interesting detail in the wings on the other.

Thanks for the processing information. I have never been totally satisfied with my BW conversions. It is informative to read how others have done their PP.

14. I've only participated in the collective shoot twice now and didn't know that it was supposed to be new shots since I mostly saw old ones from everyone else. I will be sure to take a new shot or two this week and give it a post :smile:

15. Lucy

OK, snuck a couple more in.... my ready model Lucy, always prepared to pose (if she knows I have treats in my pocket).

original.

View attachment 241763

View attachment 241764

PP in NX2, sharpening, levels & curves, paintbrush/selected curves/sharpening....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  16. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Whoo, Whoo...

Taken today, (Saturday) at the Vermont Institute of Natural Science.
    It's a raptor center in Quechee, VT. They care for injured birds of prey.

D1x/80-200 2.8 at 200mm, ISO 800, f3.5@1/200", B/W mode.

357523014_WYvgX-O.
    NIKON D1X    ---    200mm    f/3.5    1/200s   

17. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'll play...

Had posted then removed as did not know if it was an accepted method for this exercise. Guess it is, Thanks Joe, so am reposting. Increased the contrast a bit and it may be too much now.

Snapshot of wifie, we were playing around taking pics of her jewelry and got out a deck of Tarot cards for a prop. The "Justice" card came up....woo...oooo...oooo (Twilight Zone Theme Plays).

Tarot%20Hands.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  18. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Portrait in Black

I'm fortunate to live within a couple of miles of a wetlands area that attracts a variety of birds, including Canada Geese. I took this shot one evening.

DSC1495_CGportrait_k.

19. Here's a couple of candids from an office going away party this week:

357748955_6Mb6d-L.

357748985_umJKf-L.

20. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Some excellent B&W’s and selective color applications so far.

This week’s topic is quite a challenge for me – I don’t often do B&W because most of my normal subjects just don’t seem suited for that kind of presentation. I need to learn to see in B&W.

While not up to the artistic standards already established, I thought this might make some folks smile. While working on a very old door from a room we are renovating, I noticed that one of the ancient ceramic doorknobs is white while the one on the opposite side is black. Intentional symbolism or laziness…?

[​IMG]

and, a selective color version done just for kicks

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.