CS - general discussions

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I've got an idea for an oncoming CS: "Cookie time"

When will you and your family start to bake them or consume them (Holiday season)?

Kind regards
Klaus
Oh!
I thought just of a couple of Christmas cookies. Not necessarily made by your own.
A plate or bowl of cookies will do.

So, when starts that season in the US?

Regards
Klaus

The Christmas selling season in the US starts in earnest the week of Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday of November), when stores have sales on one of the biggest shopping days of the year, "Black Friday" (so named because many merchants make most of their profits on that day and through the end of the year). Recently some stores have begun trying to get a jump on that by having pre-"Black Friday" sales, and also now offering "Cyber Monday" (online sales) as well...... Many stores put up their Christmas decorations and set out the Christmas merchandise immediately after Hallowe'en. Sadly, the whole time frame between Thanksgiving and Christmas has become more and more commercialized through the years.

While I am sure there are still people who do try to maintain tradition and do things such as baking cookies and such, for many families preparing for the holidays is just one more activity that has to be crammed in between work, school and other responsibilities, and as a result at times gets short shrift. Easier and quicker to grab a package of cookies at the store or to stop in at a bakery and buy them than to try to find time to spend in the kitchen.......

China, crystal and sterling dinnerware settings became a thing of the past in our house when our daughters decided that they preferred to put everyday dinnerware into the dishwasher vs hand washing delicate items.

My wife and I have never owned fine china but we do own a set of Wilton Armatelle, which is no longer being made. We use it only on special occasions because it's not dishwasher-friendly, though we do use it several times each year. However, every evening we have candlelit dinners with background music (either traditional jazz or light classical) and wine paired with the food. My wife hand washes the wine glasses because she knows I'll accidentally break them if I do it.

My wife usually makes Christmas cookies, but not until a few days before the holiday. She almost always makes my favorite fruit-cake cookies, and I see the containers of candied fruit sitting on the kitchen counter now, so I'm hopeful :).

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
China, crystal and sterling dinnerware settings became a thing of the past in our house when our daughters decided that they preferred to put everyday dinnerware into the dishwasher vs hand washing delicate items.
I have fine china, crystal glassware and silver dinnerware and never use them, because I live alone and always find an excuse to use a paper plate and plastic utensils. It's a shame, really. I'm going to make an effort to start using them.

My wife and I were given a set of china for wedding gifts. In addition, she inherited a multiple place setting of Haviland china from Limoges dating from around 1920. She usually uses one or the other at Christmas and Thanksgiving. This year will be a test since it will just be the two of us for Thanksgiving.

just be the two of us for Thanksgiving.
That's the way it always is for my wife and me and we love it! We typically get together with family on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. That way we get the best of both worlds: a private setting just for ourselves and then the activities and atmosphere that are a better fit with the young children.

We're heading to our daughter's place in Boise--the halfway point for the family, as our son lives in Salt Lake City. And a very good friend from up here, whose husband died a year ago, will also join in. We'll have a very eclectic and non traditional meal (except for pecan pie). The table service will be eclectic too, as our daughter home is still at a basic level. As long as she has settings for all, and wine glasses a-plenty all will be happy!

I have fine china, crystal glassware and silver dinnerware and never use them, because I live alone and always find an excuse to use a paper plate and plastic utensils. It's a shame, really. I'm going to make an effort to start using them.
Lyndee, you sound like me!!! I have beautiful crystal and lovely china and silver, but most of the time I tend to use everyday casual dishes and glassware instead, and in the summertime, when I often eat dinner out on my deck, I frequently prefer to use paper plates and plastic utensils. Cleanup is sure fast and easy when using paper plates and plastic utensils!! Summertime, and the livin' is easy....... LOL!

At Christmastime I will often will pull out a few pieces in the wonderful Spode Christmas Tree pattern and enjoy having my meals on them during the holiday season. Only time of the year that ever gets used.....

Throughout the year, though, very now and then I do get the urge to savor the Good Life and will use a Waterford crystal goblet or tumbler or one of the various decorative chalices and goblets that I've collected through the years for enjoying ale and beer, and it IS fun using these nice things! I rarely use the good china or silver, though. As a widow who doesn't cook or put on big dinner parties I just don't have the need for this stuff these days......

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom