CS - general discussions

Hello my friends,

please use this thread to ask or discuss about the CS commonly.

Hi Klaus - and everyone else. As a starter for 10, I was wondering whether a small change to the way this forum is structured might be useful. It does appear to be a sometimes difficult task to find people willing to "host" a week of photo-taking and the numbers who do so are relatively small. If the requirement for a "host" was removed, do we think the forum would march on with pics for the week anyway? I have a feeling that it could, in which case all that would be needed from everyone would be a list of proposed subjects and a Moderator could draw up the list on an ongoing basis. For me, I think it is good that this forum is specifically here to encourage us to get out and take pics "this week". I would not mind if there is no one specifically designated as a "host". All I need is the subject and my own volition. I would be very surprised if we could not come up with a 52 week subject list in no time at all, saving Klaus what seems to be a weekly quest for volunteers. It is not as if we are short of comments/appreciation. The problem only appears to be with hosting, not subjects/inspiration.

I don't mind hosting if I know I'm going to be around home and near my computer for most of the week.
As mentioned elsewhere, Klaus, I'll take CS 615. I will have something posted by the end of today.

I don't mind hosting if I know I'm going to be around home and near my computer for most of the week.
As mentioned elsewhere, Klaus, I'll take CS 615. I will have something posted by the end of today.

I know, and it's great that you do that Nick, and I will chip in for your forthcoming week. But it does look like Klaus has a struggle to find people to take up the cudgels. If there is a list of subjects that are drawn on, week by week, provided by all of us, there is no need for one particular member to stand by his/her computer for a week. We can all just get out there, taking photographs, and still comment on the contributions.

If there is a list of subjects that are drawn on, week by week, provided by all of us, there is no need for one particular member to stand by his/her computer for a week.

OK, you have me on board.

We can all just get out there, taking photographs, and still comment on the contributions.

And god knows I need to do more of the former . .:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Actually, although I like and agree with the idea mentioned above, I have begun to have an additional slant on this...... Maybe it would be better not to restrict images to only being shot and submitted during a given week? That is, why not be a little more open-ended and allow images of a particular topic to have been shot at any time? Yes, I know that this then rather eradicates the “group shoot” aspect of this, but it seems to me that things have been slowing down considerably and that both things we’ve discussed here may have something to do with that: by easing up on the idea that one member has to “host” the week (which can be time-consuming, as he or she not only has to develop the topic, but also then feels compelled to comment on all the submissions) and also that the selected topic for a given week must be shot during that week, which can actually be limiting and perhaps simply off-putting in terms of people’s time, opportunity to get out and shoot, and sometimes the actual topic itself. Maybe extend the time frame from one week to two weeks or a month? Is it the time frame that is problematic for many members (especially those who are still working and don’t have a lot of free time to shoot)? Is it maybe some of the topics, which might be easy for some to shoot but difficult or actually impossible for others, regardless of time frame?

It may be time for us to rethink and restructure the whole concept of the Collective Shoot.....??

It may be time for us to rethink and restructure the whole concept of the Collective Shoot.....??

I haven't been participating here at the Cafe long enough after my recent return to have an informed opinion about that. However, if the people who have been here longer generally agree that participation in the Collective Shoot as it is currently structured has noticeably diminished, that in itself makes it clear to me that at least some changes need to be considered and ultimately made.

We have open postings on 2 other threads -- TIBM and Post an image related to . . CS gets us lazy folks out, thinking and it exercises the little gray cells. Those who do post often add contemporary info about themselves and their lives. It is fun, and it is collective knowing others around the world are out shooting like you.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Well, there are some interesting thoughts in the posts above.

But remember, it was the initial thought, that one host suggests a theme and others are working on this.
It makes the difference to the "normal" subforums.

Like Nick stated, the CS is a great chance for me to leave the house and shoot. I'm an office worker, you'll know, it's good to me.

I've seen, in former times, the prompt to host a CS was much more offensive, but that's not my style.
I love the CS like it is and when hosting a week, believe me I'm not in front of the computer all the time. I take a look here and there and guide the discussion if necessary a bit when it leaves the way.

I'll have a lot of themes for the future - hopefully interesting ones.

Well, this week I have a problem at home... My mother in law will visit us in end of September and I have to finish that guest room until then. I'll be attending the Café in this time but a bit less...

Thank you all for informing, understanding and supporting the CS
Klaus

I believe Warthman (Ron) claimed 616, so I claim 617.

Hi Nick and everyone else. As far as I know, I have NOT claimed 616 and would have a little difficulty in doing so. You are free to take it on and someone else can pick up on 617. Sorry if that throws your schedule out Klaus but I'm not sure where that came from.

If the "hostless" thought were to be considered at all I would further suggest that the person putting a subject forward should include a one or two line briefing as to what is being proposed.

Cheers

Ron

Latest threads

Top Bottom