CS2 and bridge workflow suggestions

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dmwphoto, Nov 27, 2005.

1. I have been reading the book Real world Camera Raw with adobe CS2.
    Several key points that are worth knowing are:
    Perform all adjustments possible in ACR 3.2. You do not alter any pixels here, so any thing you do here is non destructive vs the naturally destructive nature of photoshop. An added plus here is that anything you do in ACR is now the default for that image. You do not have to re create your moves.
    If images are similar, you can copy your adjustments and paste them into what ever other images you feel would benefit. Very fast processing.
    you can set up bridge to help you find and cull images that are not worth keeping, very similar to thumbs plus, but way more versatle. set the veiwing windows that make sense for you.
    I am still sorting thru the methods and will have an established workflow that i can detail in full in a week or so if any of you care to have it.
    Dave

2. Are you working in just PS CS2 or CS2 suite? Have you tried smart iimages?

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Dave - I too use Bridge and ACR. I use the star ratings to separate photos into 'bins' which then will receive similar ACR conversion. Then I'll select a bin full of photos, and do command (windows: control) R to open them with ACR (but not photoshop yet.)

Then I make my adjustments (I use the Synchronize button a lot, but also edit individual images if needed. I've come to appreciate the Curves control, and have set it to linear as the default. I also start with exposure =-1.00 and brightness=110.) Then I click the Done button rather than Open N Images. Oh, I also save the ACR settings in an XMP file.

Then, after converting all the good images, I'll open one image in Photoshop and record an Action that does what I want with it (crop, size, sharpen, etc.) Then, back in Bridge, I'll run that Action on all the images that fit it.

This is a really good scheme if you have a lot of RAW images that you need to process fast. I recently used this method with the wedding I shot with Uncle Frank.

4. you are right on here Chris.
    Greg I have not tried smart image yet.

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Dumb question time... what is "smart images" -- (yet another) feature in PS that slipped by me?

6. Smart Images

I got a chance to use Smart images. I'm building a web site using GoLive. I've never done this before, so the learning curve looks like a rollercoaster.

If you insert a photo into Golive and make it a smart image, it is not a copy of the photo. It is a link to the original photo. This means if the photo is edited in photoshop and saved, then the photo in GoLive is also changed.

In go live if you make the smart image 200 x 200, and change it to 1000 x 1000, no quality is lost because the smart image uses the link to the original photo. The same is true with all programs in the suite. An Illustrator or InDesign file can also be used as a smart image.

Greg

7. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    ...hmmm... ok - thanks... that's clearer...

8. Greg, glad to hear about your experiences with "smart objects" and "Golive". It good to know that Creative Suite is coming together with cross program features like "smart objects." My library of "smart objects" is really growing. I think, the "pbs" extension is a good way to store flattened, fully processed images.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera