CS2 % Memory usage

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by lowlight_junkie, Dec 19, 2005.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    What are your settings and why? I leave mine at 75% but not sure if I should use more as I never have any other programs running at the same time.
    Any advice on settings?

2. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    you can experiment, but often reserving more than 75% slows things down rather than speeds them up.
    Try to upgrade to 2GB of RAM if you can, thatis money well spent if you do a lot of CS2 work.

3. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Twig, The 2gb route is easier said than done. I have been trying to find out how to go about this due to my board configuration without much success! See my post here:https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=58167
    I'm guessing I am going to have to buy 2 x 1gb sticks of ram but am now considering 2 x 2gb as no doubt as soon as I get 2gb the minimum needed will jump to 4gb as it usually does :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Interesting about the power/memory requirements for CS2, huge. Thanks Chaz, that confirms what I thought is happening.
    She isn't going to like this, not one bit. (No pun intended):smile:

5. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    LOL and now you have documentary evidence to prove it!
    Maybe its me "she" won't be liking much now! :)

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Your OS will not support 4GB I don;t think, at least Windows XP doesnt. 2GB is more than adequate for most usage, and I think you should wait for some stable OS before jumping to 4 (by then memeory will be cheaper too)

I havent tried the 3GB switch because honestly, once you get everything working and reasonable speed, you are not inclined to continue monkeying with CS2

7. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hey Twig, Using the a combination of the info on the links above and the scratch disk info supplied from my other post I think I have a nice setup now.
    Things are definatley a little faster! Have dropped to 60% memory usage now also. I never even knew PS CS2 had an efficiency indicator!

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Chaz, how does the efficiency indicator work, ie wher is it?:confused:

9. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Watch your efficiency indicator while you work in Photoshop to determine the amount of RAM you'll need to keep your images in RAM. The efficiency indicator is available from the pop-up menu on the status bar of your image and from the Palette Options on the Info Palette pop-up menu. When the efficiency indicator goes below 95-100%, you are using the scratch disk. If the efficiency is around 60%, you'll see a large performance increase by changing your RAM allocation or adding RAM.

In PHoto shop go to Window and make sure Info is checked,
    then find the info palette and click the arrow and in the menu and go to Palette Options and under the options go to Efficiencyand make sure it is checked.

10. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Rob, when your image is open look at the bottom of the image window where the filesize is.
    there is a little black arrow there, click on that and select show/efficency.
    It then gives you a numerical efficiency reading, the article says if that reaches 60% you need to upgrade your memory.
    There is also one on the info pallette, again use the little black arrow go to pallette options and tick the check box for efficiency.
    Nice little feature, I never knew it existed!

11. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I am running PC with PS 7 and PS 8.
    Since I use NV and NC and transfer to PS.
    I set the memory allocated to PS at the minimum about 8 to 18 MB.
    Also in PS plugins I rename Digimarc to ~Digimarc
    Now working on a single full D2X nef file, I never exceed 1 mb of ram useage as shown in Task Manager.

Birger

12. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Thank you Twig and Chaz.