CS2 saving question

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by jgrove, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I should know the answer to this but.... i have editied a file and saved as a PSD in CS2, now i need it as JPEG so i can get it printed online (as i dont send TIFFs via the net)

So i load the PSD file, go to save as and JPEG is not listed?

I have to go to Save for the Web and do it that way.

Can anyone help? Please tell me if i am being a bit thick on this i wont mind :wink:

2. What mode are you operating in? If it's 16-bit you you can't save as a jpeg. Make a duplicate of your PSD image, convert to 8-bit, then save as a jpeg at the maximum setting.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK

Thanks! Now i feel very silly! :redface:

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Maybe a good way to do this is converting the image to destination printer space while still in 16-bit (answer "yes" to the "flatten image" dialogue, if it will pop up), and then use "Save for web" option setting quality to 100%, and checking "emebed profile". This seems to give better quality about 40% of times, and same quality in the rest of cases.

5. Yes, Iliah this is preferrable (on duplicate image), but if you want the EXIF saved you need to save as a jpeg (max. res.), not save for the web.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Virginia,
    why on duplicate?

Of course. But, on the other hand, what use printing service can make of EXIFs?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  7. Iliah, you are right. I just added this bit of information for those who might be interested in saving the EXIF in a jpeg for web postings (saving for the web doesn't do this). I should have clarified my statement. :frown:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Isn't it strange that save for web does not include the option to save EXIF... BTW, I forgot to mention Ctrl-Z after converting to printer space. My bad :(

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well apparently it used to but some people were annoyed to find out that the thumbnail wasn't updated. I seem to recall a blogger who inadvertantly posted a nude picture of herself. The shot she had posted was cropped to be a bit more modest, but the EXIF thumbnail still contained the full uncropped image.