CS2 to CS3 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I'm pretty happy with CS2, but it only costs $195 to upgrade from CS2 to CS3, and since I can't afford a d700, I need to buy something :Curved:.

I'd love to get feedback from power users who have made the move from CS2, and have worked with CS3 for a while.
    • Does it require more computing power than CS2?
    • Have any of its new features have rocked your world?
    • Is ACR improved?
    • Do you feel it was worth the cost?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

2. With CS4 on the horizon, maybe it's better to wait. I use both versions (at home and work), and there's nothing in CS3 that I miss in CS2.

Just checking - do you own a monitor calibrator? If not, that's where your money should go.

3. ACR is much improved in CS3, and if anything it seems to run faster on the whole. I agree that it might just be better to wait for CS4, as at least the PC version is going to be 64-bit, which should yield even better performance!

4. Things I love,
    Much pmproved ACR
    Much improved BW conversion capability
    Smart objects - every so often they are very useful
    New selection tool
    Edge refinement

Doesn't seem to be much of a load on the PC.

Was worth the upgrade to me.

5. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Why not look at some plugins to enhance CS2? You may get more bang for your buck and speed up your workflow, too.

6. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    I had CS3 sitting there since January I think, loaded it tonight when I read your thread, I'll check tomorrow for batching etc but if I didn't have it I would wait for CS4 :)

7. I wouldn't know where to start. What plugins do you think I'd find useful?

8. To me the biggest improvement was the new ACR. Way more control over the image (at least more user friendly), and the ability to work with JPEGs in the same interface as RAWs.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Uncle Frank,

Spent my pennies on the NX2 upgrade (which B&H just got into stock last night). It's sufficiently faster than NX1 to tear 118 brassos frrom me sporrran. Still no speed demon though.

Have been using the 60-day NX2 free trial for RAW conversion because I prefer the skin colors, and all the other colors, compared to what I get from Adobe ACR. I just do a simple RAW dealy in NX2, White Balance, Exposure, Color Temperature, maybe the new Picture Controls when they help (They can be used on the D200 NEF's in NX2, just not in the camera itself) - then save the 16-bit .tif

Everything else is done in CS2, Adobe 98 RGB, because that is where I am more adept.

Tried CS3, which I would buy if I didn't already have good stiching software plus homebrew actions for B&W, selective sharpening etc. CS3 is a major improvement in these areas.

By and large, plan to sit on my wallet until the end of next heating season, and then perhaps get serious about adding a D700. ISO 1600 for available light portraits of small "fast-movers" would be very nice indeed. I like the skin colors from the D3 RAW files I have checked out. Until February will continue to do it the hard way with D200 at ISO100, windows, reflectors, and fill flash.

Speaking of plug-ins, I do wish someone would make a plug-in or action to replicate the Fuji S3-5 skin tones. To my eyes, they are the most pleasing of all. But that's what makes the world go round.

10. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
  11. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Ditto-ing the Just wait for the CS4. ACR is great and the new selection tool is great. The animation stuff in Extended is pretty cool, but I haven't used it much. But is it worth an upgrade...no considering that CS4 is coming. If it was just out then maybe but since it's been out for a while you might as well wait.

Kind of like buying a new car.
    if its the last year of the model, you might as well wait for the new one.....unless it's a Honda...keep me busy please:wink:!...On second thought I think we are the only car company that has overtime scheduled through 2009, I could use a day off!:biggrin:

12. Thanks for the excellent feedback, folks. I'll take the advice of the majority, and hold off until cs4 is released.

13. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    For me the recovery slider in ACR was worth the price of admission. As far as waiting for CS 4, I have not seen any rumors as to a release date and it is not in beta yet (right?). That tells me it is 8 months to a year away. You sell your photos, so what is the benfit in time and improvements to your workflow between now and then. Also it takes time for the bugs to be worked out of a new release. If you have a spare computer you could always install the 30 day trial and see if it is worth it. I think you could have the two versions running on the same machine, but that may be a little risky.

YMMV

14. That makes perfect sense, too. Now I've got to reconsider. :Curved:

15. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

I am really digging the OnOne Plug-In Suite 4 package. You can visit the website and download a trial version. I also got ColorEFX from Nik Software, but I find the OnOne software much more versatile and I get better results very quickly. There's a new site for users to exchange presets (templates) for the suite, also. Nik also offers fully usable downloads to try out. I'm trying out Silver EFX for B&W images and kind of like it.

If you like PhotoShop Actions, then I'd suggest looking at Kubota or Totally Rad software. Since Kevin Kubota worked on some of the techniques for OnOne's Phototools software, he's also found a way to import his actions into that suite so they can work within the interface.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/
    http://www.kubotaimagetools.com
    http://gettotallyrad.com/
    http://www.niksoftware.com

16. Ouch. I'm sure it's great, but here I am debating a $200 upgrade, and you're recommending a $500 plug in package :rolleyes:.

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I would wait until CS4 is released. I have read that certain features are faster (CS4) than those found in CS3.

18. Any idea of when cs4 will be available?

19. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Uncle Frank

I heard 1st quater 2009, so I guess early next year.

20. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Oh, I must've missed the budget requirements. That said, some of the components are within your budget. If you want to spend money, I can definitely show you how to want more than you can afford. I do it every day.

If nothing else, the full version demo is free. You could try it out to see if you like any of it before you put down your cash. The OnOne site has plenty of videos, too.

I went for the whole thing because there were enough components that I wanted to justify the suite price, plus I got $100 discount as a NAPP member. For me, it's definitely been very good and I'm happy with my purchase.