CS2 VS CS@ Darkroom Ed. VS CS2 Premium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vienna Pics, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hello,

I am looking to purchase CS2 and see there are atleast three flavors:

CS2
    CS2 Darkroom edition
    CS2 Premium

I realize you pay for what you get, and you will pay more for the Darkroom or Premium. The question that I have is does Darkroom or Premium have features that are really used? Are they filled with 'goldplating' or does the membership actually find the extra features usefull?

Thanks - Mark

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Mark, The Darkroom edition is not from Adobe, but is a bundle of CS2 with with Imaging Spectrum's Digital Darkroom, a program that duplicates some of the functionality, and adds others. The Premium edition includes other graphics applications from Adobe, like Illustrator, Go Live and Acrobat. Regular PSCS2 is the main Photoshop program that includes ACR and a whole bunch of Photographer ready tools. I recommend the simpler (and cheaper) alternative, JPPSCS2 (just plain Photoshop CS2).

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

Thanks for the info. I would have tried to answer the questions but didn't have a clue. Now I'm all-knowing (or at least better informed). :wink:

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Chris,

Thank you such much for the input. I am glad to be a member of this group as to all of the information sharing that is occuring all the time.

Thanks again - Mark

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You're welcome Frank and Mark. The first good, non-paint, image editing program I ever had was Digital Darkroom. I don't know if the current program is anything like the one I had, but it did a good job of introducing me to a lot of the concepts of digital image editing. Once I switched to Photoshop I've stuck with it and haven't run out of options yet.

If you can get an academic discount (isn't the DD bundle only available in EDU versions?) USE IT! Adobe (and most big-name software vendors) offer great educational discounts. All it take is a kid in school, or take a community college class (in Photoshop if you want!) to qualify.

6. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Chris,

One educational software website had CS2 for 290, CS2 DarkRoom Edition for 480 and CS2 Premium for 460.

Mark

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    290, well, 299 is the best price I found for just Photoshop CS2. Efollett has the CS2 premium bundle for 399. They are pretty easy to deal with as well. If you or a family member is registered at a participating school (that is Follett runs the bookstore) then you can do the whole thing online.

(Other than as a customer, I have no connection with Follett - in fact, I've been known to direct students to an off campus textbook store to save them a few $$.)