Cs2?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Gerald Plowman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Currently use Elements V.3 and Capture 4.4. . any reason to upgrade to Elements V.5 or CS2? Having reviewed CS3 briefly; I have no need for it. I purchased Capture NX and didn't like it. I have no interest in anything but processing images. thanks.

2. CS2 gives you more flexibility to me than Elements does. I, like you have no need for CS3 but I do enjoy CS2 and I think you will too. It offers a lot more too than Elements.

3. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    The CS3 offers better control and greater flex in RAW convesion than in CS2. I have CS2, CS3, Lightroom, and NX. I use them all for various things, as each have their pluses. For example: I use NX when I need to to quickly establish color control point adjustments or I am working with high ISO files (which I try to avoid) - all without complex masking in PS. I use CS2 when I need to use all of those plug-ins that I have adn simply can't do without (from FM's stuff and PK), as most of them won't work in CS3 and I have not bought new ones yet. I use CS3 for RAW converstion when I don't need color point control, or I might be interested in B&W converstion, or I find that fill light will be better used than D-light. I use LR (hate the dbase) when I need to do some things fast, like making a number of the same corrections to a large number of files. Although I have two copies of LR, I see myself going away from it. I have found that I can do just about anything that I need to do in Breeze Browser vs LR, less the RAW conversion. The RAW conversion in BBP is fairly poor.

Again, I try hard to avoid these shooting situation but sometimes I simply can't. When shooting from a vehicle in Africa, you shoot what is presented to you with your limited varabiles only being what you can do in the camera and maybe slight movement of the vehicle. Africa shots can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/hanna_man/africa
    Randy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I have owned every version of photoshop since 1991 (version 1) and found CS2 to be one of their best releases. That being said, CS3 blows CS2 away :)

Regards

RFC

5. If you want to just process images mabye you could look at Lightroom, ther is a 30 day trial available to test.

6. Could you give some concrete reasons why you think that CS3 blows CS2 away. By saying that, there must be some HUGE improvements. I have CS2 now and looking to upgrade.

Thanks,

7. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005

Hi GeoKost,

I especially like the following in CS3

Adobe Bridge CS3 is a major upgrade over CS2. It seamlessly works with Illustrator and Dreamweaver. Although I do have lightroom, I never use it because it limitations on file sizes.

A BW converter is now a built in feature. In CS2 I used Imaging Factory’s BWPro. The new built in feature in CS3 functions in a very similar manner.

ACR - many new features including the ability to use it with jpeg and tiff files. Batch processing jpeg, tiff and raw is now simple and easy.

Other functions such as photomerge, and smart objects are also worthy enhancements.

And…..CS3 performance seems faster than CS2

JMHO, if you use Adobe Bridge in your general workflow, you should definitely upgrade to CS3.

Regards

RFC

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I agree with Robert

9. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

I have CS2 and can't imagine life BEFORE it. It's well worth the $.