CS3 Files

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by OHcorgis, Jul 9, 2007.

1. PowerPC G5/1.6GHz

I have been shooting more in RAW. When I open up the images in CS3 Bridge, I get a JPG and NEF file (which is annoying since I chose RAW - Fine in the camera menu). But looky here, what on earth is the Photoshop Elements file doing in the Pictures/iPhoto Library/originals folder????

_DSC3790.JPG
    _DSC3790.NEF
    _DSC3790.xmp

I have always expected images that are modified in Photoshop to be saved to the iPhoto Library "modified" folder, but with CS3, most are saved to the originals folder. Is this something new with CS3? Or is it a problem with iPhoto? This has had me so frustrated I downloaded a trial of Aperture, but my graphics card cannot handle it so I have to wait until I replace my old G5 :frown:

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    At least on a D200 if you select "RAW - Fine" you are asking the camera to record a NEF (RAW) and a JPEG (Fine) image together for every shot.

Don't know the answer to your iPhoto questions. I use Adobe Lightroom and shoot RAW only. When I edit in Lightroom it saves the edits in a sidecar (XMP) file in the same directory as the image. I do not consider this bothersome.

3. The .xmp file says the kind is Adobe Photoshop Elements XMP file info file. I am curious as to why this is automatically saved along with the NEF and JPG files. The "get info" tells me to use this file to open the image in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, which I do still have installed in my applications.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    The XMP file contains your edits, leaving your RAW file in original unaltered form. I don't know about Elements, but it allows you to work with a complete editing history in Lightroom, where you can view the effect of every change you've made to your picture.

I don't know if there is any relationship at all between XMP files and the JPEG (I think none) since I only use JPEGs as an export format, and not for editing.

5. One extension can be used for more than one purpose. Because you have Photoshop Elements 3 on your computer, your computer has been told that all .xmp files are Photoshop elements files.

I found this information by going to google and typing in "xmp extension".

So, my guess is that even though your computer has been told by Adobe Elements to regard this file as an Adobe Elements file, it probably has something to do with retaining information, (metadata), about the photo that you took.

The moral of the story: Don't believe everything your computer tells you. Sometimes it doesn't have the least idea of what it's talking about. :biggrin:

6. Thank you. Okay, I won't delete them! Just thought it to be very courious how Elements got into the files. I will live with it until I can buy Aperture.

Birgit