CS3 Help Window Opens by Itself

This problem happens once in a while, but never to the extent that it did today. Just now, I had to use the reboot button on my motherboard to get control of my computer back. I could not close the Help window, even with the Windows Task Manager. I could not minimize the help window either. PS was frozen.

What Happens. Every once in a while, I will pick a tool, and the help window will open. Normally, I can close it, and continue working, but it will open when choosing a tool again. It hasn’t happened for a while, but today it happened when I clicked on the Edit > Stroke tool, but I don’t think it’s any particular tool.

Getting the help window when I don’t want it, but want a tool is irritating, mostly annoying, but today it went beyond annoying. Of course, I lost what I had been working on. Has anyone ever seen this behavior from CS3 before?

No, the help isn’t online. It is within the program. This has always happened, but happens infrequently. I’ve used PS many times since this happened last, but I’ve never seen it so bad I couldn’t just close the help window, and continue working.

This is a PC running Win XP SP3. Duel core processor, plenty of power. Even working with RAW files won’t slow CS3 down.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I suspect a hardware problem with the connection to your keyboard and/or mouse. That can cause lock-ups like this, nothing to do with CS3.

I suggest you turn off your computer then unplug your keyboard then plug it in again 10 times. I'm assuming your keyboard has the little round connector. They can get corroded with age. If you have any Deoxit, spray a bit of that in. Do your mouse as well.

My money would be on keyboard too - but I think you should unplug and plug 11 times :smile:. Funny though that you have not mentioned any other odd behaviour with other apps. Do you use computer much for other than PS and have you any other issues?

In the unlikely event that this is CS3 related you could try deleting preference file (possible corruption??). This will set all preferences to PS default. To do this you will need to hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift prior to starting PS and keep them held down while PS loads and you get a dialogue box asking something like 'Delete settings'. Click on Yes and PS will then continue and replace your preferences with defaults.

CS3 is the only application I get this kind of behavior with, and it is always the help window that opens, and I’m always using the mouse when it happens, and always picking a tool when it happens.

CS3 is only one of many programs I use, from email, internet, spread sheets, web development, word processors and other stuff. CS3 is the only program I see anything like this.

I’m a little hesitant in resetting preferences, tho I’m not sure I have a lot of unusual settings in there. I’ll have to look and see what I have set in there, and think about that one.

I’ve also used CS3 several times since I started this thread, and it hasn’t happened again. It is very random as to when it happens. Sometimes weeks apart.

So if CS3 is the only application to exhibit the problem, while possible a hardware problem may not be the root cause. You seem to use quite a few programs that make heavy use of both mouse and keyboard, in theory at least this should rule out hardware issues.

If you had a keyboard problem i.e. F1 key contacts flexing causing help to open then the odds are that it should also happen occassionally in other apps. The mouse if a problem should also give similar effects with other apps.

The biggest issue is the so called randomness and in particular only in CS3. I can understand your hesitance in reset of preferences I wish I could tell you to just do it and the problem would be gone. Truth is I just do not know if it would make a difference.

So I am going to throw a few suggestions (in no particular order) to you and see what you think hopefully somewhere in there will be a clue and a little help. From what you have said my suspicion is a corrupted CS3 install.

1. Cannot rule out hardware so is there anyway you can check mouse and keyboard on another system and do you have access to a spare mouse and keyboard?

2. Does your mouse software have any fancy set of options for its actions. If so consider turning them off for a while?

3. Do you regularly run antivirus software and malware removal. If you have not done this recently run now?

4. What programs are running in the background when using CS3. Worth checking and disabling anything uneccessary just to test?

5. My Favourite :smile:. Uninstall CS3 then re install

So I am going to throw a few suggestions (in no particular order) to you and see what you think hopefully somewhere in there will be a clue and a little help. From what you have said my suspicion is a corrupted CS3 install.

1. Cannot rule out hardware so is there anyway you can check mouse and keyboard on another system and do you have access to a spare mouse and keyboard?

I have another system that my other half uses. We have CS4 on that computer with no problems with help opening that I’m aware of. I like the keyboard and mouse on my computer much better. If the keyboard or mouse were the culprit, I would think other applications would be affected.

2. Does your mouse software have any fancy set of options for its actions. If so consider turning them off for a while?

Plain and simple mouse. No fancy options. Those kind of things usually bug me.

3. Do you regularly run antivirus software and malware removal. If you have not done this recently run now?

I am a computer maintenance nerd. Antivirus always on, Firewall always on, Spybot, and Malwarebytes are kept up to date, and used almost daily. All internet browsing cookies and history deleted several times a day, both thru the browser and thru Windows Explorer to get all the stuff the browser won’t delete.

4. What programs are running in the background when using CS3. Worth checking and disabling anything uneccessary just to test?

Normally, when I’m working with CS3, the only thing I have running is Nikon View. I know. It’s old, but I find it easier to work with than ViewNX. Right click on a thumbnail, and open in the program of my choice, usually CS3 or Bridge.

5. My Favourite :smile:. Uninstall CS3 then re install

Uninstalling and reinstalling CS3 won’t happen. CS5 should be here sometime in the next week or two, and when I get it set up the way I want it, and get used to it, CS3 is coming off. I was hoping there was a cut and dry answer to my problem, but it looks like there isn’t. It’s just plain frustrating when it happens, and when the only way I could get rid of the help window was to reboot the computer, I got frustrated enough to start this thread. The help window could be minimized, but trying to continue to work just brought the help window back up, and the tool could not be used. I just hope I don’t see this in CS5. If I do, you will see this thread come back to life. I appreciate the time you took to help. No simple answer for this one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom