CS3 how get Actions etc into it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Apr 24, 2007.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I downloaded the CS3 Upgrade this afternoon. Got it installed but now can't figure out how to get my Actions, Plugins, Brushes, Filters etc etc. over into CS3. None of those went into CS3. I still have CS2 in its correct form with all the extras still there. But CS3 has none of the things I need in it. It's bare bones without my goodies.

The man from Adobe yesterday said those things would go right into CS3 and they didn't.

What did I do wrong? Does CS3 have to be installed into CS2???

I had no idea which forum to put this into and figure this is the wrong place...but any answers would be appreciated no matter if it's in the right forum or not.

Patrick can jump in and move this if necessary..thanks, Patrick.

THANKS!

Gaye

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    There are alot of answers to this on DPR retouching forum.
    Also you will just install actions and plug-ins the same way in cs3 as you did in cs2.
    In other words , you have to do it again:>))

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida

Gale, I'm hoping I don't have to do that. The Adobe man said they'd all go right into CS3 but they didn't. Sure don't want to make all the new brushes again. I'll go to DRP retouching forum now. Thanks, Gaye

4. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

The what? :confused:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    You can export (save) your actions from CS2 and import (load) them into CS3. You can do the same for styles, and perhaps other custom tools and presets. This is also how you can keep multiple installations customized to your liking.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gale, thanks!

8. you can copy all of your plug-ins to a folder on your computer and then go to your preferences in CS3 and go to plug-ins>additional plug-in folder and simply point to where you stored them. This will simplify things if you ever have to re-install photoshop.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida

Walter,
    thanks very much. I'm beginning to see why I have a problem..
    Is there any way I can get my brushes out of CS2? I made many signature brushes and would like to get those over to the new Pshop.
    thanks again, Gaye

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Dave, that's good!
    I just asked Walter a question about the signature brushes I made. Can those be taken out or do I have to remake them?
    Many thanks for your good idea,
    gaye

11. Gaye,
    I do so little with brushes, I can not answer that one. Sorry and best of luck. I am sure there is an easy way to copy and paste them over

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, DAve,
    I had made many signature brushes but guess will have to make them again. Otherwise I have not done anything with the brushes..I'm just lazy about doing that again :smile:

13. Gaye, what Dave said!

I keep most of this extra stuff in a folder separate from the CS2 directory. Question for you, I guess, is what happened to your brushes when you installed CS3? Have you tried doing a *.ABR search to see if your "CS2 brushes" are anywhere to be found? If you can find them, you can load them. :smile:

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Dennis,
    So that's what ABR stands for:smile: I'll check that out now.

Thanks much!
    Gaye

15. Gaye, your actions will have to be reloaded but you shouldn't have to re-write them. Some of them might have little glitches which need to be fine-tuned, but for the most part, they should migrate. I keep my actions in a non-Photoshop-dependant folder. Don't pull your actions into CS3 from your CS2 folders in case you delete CS2 eventually.

Don't you just love upgrading!!!!??? :frown:

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I'm considering just staying with CS2 and forgetting the upgrade. Just LOVE upgrading!

Sandi, thanks,
    Gaye

17. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    Gaye, here is a quote that I saw tonight on Moose Petersons website.

"If you’re anything like me though, you’ve customized Photoshop with automation options like Menus, Styles and Actions (just to name a few). You might get real frustrated thinking you have to reinvent the wheel every time you update because you have to “recreate” all of this automation.

I learned long, long ago (thank goodness) from my good friend Peter Bauer to save all my Actions, Styles, Menus and the like to an external folder, a folder outside of the Adobe folder. By doing so (and you can do the same with plugins), all you have to do when you update to CS3 Extended (yeah, it has features you won’t find in Standard) is Load your Actions, Menus and Styles from that external folder. You don’t have to recreate a thing, they’re all good to go. If you don’t know how to do this, there are LOTS of tutorials on the web (like on the NAPP site) showing you how for Mac or Win. It will get you up and working a whole lot faster!"

I am a novice at this but I think you should read about the Preset Manager in CS2 on page 42 of the CS2 manual. I believe this is what the rest of the updates are talking about when they say to save your presets in a folder outside of Photoshop.

I hope this helps.

18. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  19. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Bruce,
    That's a big help. THanks for all your trouble getting this to me.
    I appreciate it very much!

Gaye