CS3 Important information

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Please read the info here

I suspect a failure to fllow these instructions will result in all sorts of problems not the least of which wil be the program failing to initiate after the Beta is pulled due to a serial number mix up. Using the unistall utility as instructed should avoid all of these issues. with so may users of the Beta that ordinarily do not use Beta testing formats will bring a bunch of issues if they do not see or follow these instructions. Dragging it to the trash vs uninstall will not remove the beta serial number and thus cause issues.
Dave

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
It wont be a problem for those that chose to use the Beta if they follow these instructions. My copy shipped today.

FWIW, I downloaded it this morning, ran the uninstaller and then installed the downloaded CS3. All went smoothly, and I repeated the process this afternoon on my laptop.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
That is good to hear Bill. this was not meant as an alarmist warning. My fear is that many that downloaded the beta simply do not keep up with the news regarding it and I am hoping to save some the pain of not knowing.
Another thing to keep in mind is to look through your preferences and make note of scratch disc designation and anything eles that you customized. Any plug-ins that you purchased should be copied to another folder before uninstalling so you will have them later. I put all of my purchased plug-ins in a folder and simply point PS to that in my preferences so I never have to worry about wiping one or more out by mistake.
Dave

Make sure you deactivate the serial number first.
Then Uninstall the beta. I suggest you check to see if anything got left in a directory/subdirectory.
Also check under program files\common files\adobe
I would also run a registry cleaner if you have one.
I would the reboot and when I installed PS I would give it a completely different name; Like :\PS 3

Just don't give it the same name you gave the beta directory.

Make sure you deactivate the serial number first.
Then Uninstall the beta.

It's been interesting hearing everybody (and the Adobe instructions) say to deactivate first. On both machines I tried to deactivate before uninstalling, but on both it said it was a beta and wasn't activated, therefore couldn't be deactivated.

I'm not saying not to bother, everyone should definitely check and deactivate if you can!

It's been interesting hearing everybody (and the Adobe instructions) say to deactivate first. On both machines I tried to deactivate before uninstalling, but on both it said it was a beta and wasn't activated, therefore couldn't be deactivated.

I'm not saying not to bother, everyone should definitely check and deactivate if you can!

When you installed the program you had to activate it before you ran it. When the program has been activated Adobe sends code to turn on certain features. If you do not deactivate prior to the new install, you can corrupt your installation and cause loss of certain functionality. This was done to prevent certain forms of activity. You end up with a situation where you can not uninstall the beta and can not install the new release. This function did fail on certain machines; but its best to err on the side of caution.

Got my new CS3 copy, deactivated the beta and uninstalled. Installed the released SW, all is good.

The uninstall didnt touch my installed plug-ins and they are working with the new CS3 as expected.

I spoke with the technical support folks. Yes, you can't deactivate a Beta. I had a different problem. I opted to download on an upgrade for the Mac. I downloaded, it installed correctly and registration was complete. They did not, however send me a serial number. When I ran CS3 it said I had to activate and when it came up it had the Beta's serialnumber in the boxes (obviously they're still using the old hidden file trick). Having no number I tried my CS2 number; that wouldn't take.

So I called support twice and got persons from off shore. We concluded that the problem was not having a serial number for the CS3 application and theydid not have access to serial numbers. They gave me an 800 number which I have called twice and listened to the same song played over and over for a half hour both times and given up.

I went to the Adobe.com site and started a case number, to which they have not responded. Thankfully I have 29 more days.

Adobe's support appears configured to prevent a customer from calling a second level support person without running the gauntlet of phone call hold hell first.

Unless one of our Cafe members is a secret Adobe employee and can pm me with an 800 number of a real human being. :rolleyes:

Rich

Rich,

Did you download from Adobe.com? If so, you can retrieve your serial # :
• Click My Account and log on
• Under Purchases click View Order History
• Click on the order number
• Click on Download, and a grid pops up with your order date and serial #

Rich,

Once you have successfully run the gauntlet of 1st level support and gained access to 2nd level, they will on request (sometimes even offering it before being asked) a suitable phone number for the office you have reached.

If you then need a different office they'll either give you that number too - or transfer you, to save calling back in.

We spent a lot of time with Adobe support (8 phone calls spread over 75 days) - so know what it's like to get the "run around".

This of course was a European Adobe Support facility - but the "offshore" bit is in the same location as the US, I believe. It was the "UK" office (in Holland!!!) that actually helped in the end.

We had the misfortune to be told the same, incorrect, advice on 3 separate occasions - and Adobe didn't want to help, but eventually, reluctantly, half helped - we have a serial for Mac CS2 that cannot upgrade to CS3.

Adobe are likely to lose some sales due to this.

Good to know, thanks Dave!

These folks were Filipino and very courteous; however they were clearly limited in what they could do. The gent apologized profusely. I have a soft spot in my heart for Filipinos from my Navy days and know how friendly they are and eager to help. The number he gave me was the same one shown in customer support on the Adobe site, so it wasn't anythying special...which was exactly what I had hoped for.

I am puzzled how, after doing such a comprehensive job on Photoshop they turn it over to people who do not even test the installation process or proofread their material.

For example the documentation in the download files gives you detailed instructions about uninstalling the Beta. Then at the END of the article it states "Before you do this, you have to......." Excuse me, what if I followed your instructions carefully and THEN came across this note which should have been at the beginning of the article? Sheesh! :mad:

Rich

I sent a email tech support request in last night, as of this afternoon, still unanswered. I got tired of waiting on techless support and my phone about died yesterday evening.

Edit, just checked, still unanswered.

Latest threads

Top Bottom