CS3 - Save To Web Colour Problems

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Bright Angel, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

When I "save to web" in Ps CS3 my colours look nothing like my image.

Please take a look at the screen grab below.
    [​IMG]

I'm using a D300, setup as aRGB and RAW.
    My monitor is calibrated with Pantone Huey Pro.
    And that profile is saved as the default profile in Win XP.
    NX2 and CS3 are both set to the aRGB (1998) profile.

When I transfered this image from NX2 to CS3 I converting the profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    But when I save the image it looks different, even if I alter the settings within the "save to web" dialog box (ICC Profile & Convert to sRGB).

What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you.

2. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Try converting to sRGB before you save to web.

3. Internally, Photoshop works in something similar to ProPhoto colorspace. This is a much larger colorspace than either aRGB or sRGB, so some subtle color differences will occur, depending on the amount of PS processing. Are you doing Relative Colorimetric interpretation for color space translation? You should always view your images in the output colorspace (Custom Proofing option) before actually converting them as this will give you the option for further processing to get the colors "in line" before committing to the output colorspace. If that is too much, then you explicitly select the color conversion from the Edit menu (convert to profile...)
    Hope this helps.

4. I never use this feature....as I prefer to make my web file right in PS. I can resize and sharpen to my liking and then do a direct save.

Also you strip the EXIF when saving for WEB.

GenoP

5. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you for the replies.

turtile,
    I did convert it to sRGB

Peano,
    In Photoshop.
    I didn't go through with the saving process, I just looked at the differences when comparing the "save to web" screen and the workshop screen.
    The image above is the overlay of both screens.
    The reason I didn't save it was because, if it looks that bad in the preview screen, then what's the point in saving it.

GonzoBernelli,
    That makes no sense to me at all.

GenoP754,
    I've none heard of that approach before.

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Click the original tab instead of optimized. It should be closer to what you are looking for.

****edit**** Never mind scatch that...it might work.

look at your proof setup settings, click on view>proof setup>custom>set your Device to simulate to SRGB1EC61966-2.1 and Intent to Relative Colormetric or Perceptual. Make sure Black Point Compensation is clicked on.>click OK

Then click on View>Make sure Proof Colors is checked on...That way your eye is seeing what you are saving.

7. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    I have the same experience. Save it anyways, you will see that in a browser it will match closer to the original. Colors always seem to be slightly off in the save for web preview.

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Yep to that. The way to save as an sRGB jpeg and keep the exif is to Save your original, then convert the color profile (edit>convert to profile>choose srgb...) Then do a save as.

9. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you very much Gentlemen :smile:
    Your expert knowledge as saved the day.
    I doth my PP hat to you all :wink:
    [​IMG]

Edit:-
    One more question to save opening up a new thread.
    When saving using Save To Web. Is it possible to set the default viewed image size to say 50%, instead of 100%.
    It's just annoying to keep altering it from 100% to whatever size I what.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I also shoot in camera sRGB.