CS3

IIRC, after 30 days of failed attempts to "phone home" the software stops working. Or I could be misremembering.

Let's assume you're essentially right about that even if the number of days isn't accurate. If so, that's the policy now. Who is to say with great certainty that they won't eliminate the need to phone home if they decide to discontinue the product?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Please clarify that. My understanding is that the Adobe CC software is on my local hard drive, so why would it ever stop working?

As a separate issue, the OP suggested that I should hope Adobe doesn't turn off its cloud servers. I've got full-size JPEGs of all images I've kept. Why in the world should I be concerned more than licensing any other product that could be discontinued?
On the first point all their CC software keeps doing regular checks that you have kept paying. It is a rental scheme. If they didn't do this many people would stop paying.
Quote from Adobe help page:
"The desktop apps attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days. Annual members can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode."

On the second point I completely agree. I have all my photos and back them up as I want. I would never trust the only copies to a cloud, no matter whose cloud it is. The Adobe DNG converter is not part of CC and will work forever. So even if Adobe stops business you can still convert your raw files.

The desktop apps attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.
It would be interesting to use the subscription service for more than 30 days without ever being connected to the Internet to see what happens. Anyone wanna volunteer? :D

Has there ever been any subscription-based application that resides on the users' hard drives that stopped working purely because the developer in any industry discontinued it? In the image-editing photography industry?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter where the software resides. If it can't contact the mother ship on schedule, you're SOL.

1623506616387.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It doesn't matter where the software resides. If it can't contact the mother ship on schedule, you're SOL.

View attachment 1685055
Yep. Adobe used to write an update to a file that resides inside the application package contents that told the program that it was a legit license. People were able to quickly get around it by simply replacing the existing file with a "hacked" file that never needed to go back and validate with Adobe. That's around when CC came out and it was to protect their license.

Microsoft and Adobe were/are the two most pirated pieces of software by a long shot and they are the two that made software as a subscription popular among app developers.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It would be interesting to use the subscription service for more than 30 days without ever being connected to the Internet to see what happens. Anyone wanna volunteer? :D

Has there ever been any subscription-based application that resides on the users' hard drives that stopped working purely because the developer in any industry discontinued it? In the image-editing photography industry?
If you pay annually you will get the 99 days before it stops. If you pay monthly, it will stop after 30 days. But I assure you it will stop.

Rental (i.e. subscription) software has been checking dates and shutting down with a message in effect saying "you didn't pay so no more service" since at least the 1960's. Back in those days the software was running on a mainframe or a minicomputer but it still wouldn't run any more. Nothing has changed. Switching to rentals has made Adobe much much richer.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom