CS5 help please

Hi all....

Can anyone help please.

This morning I used the camera raw editor to process some images and saved the finished shots as JPEGs in another folder.

Just came to do the same with some more images from the same original folder and save to the target folder as JPEG and get the message as below.....

the file could not be created

Plenty of space on Hard drive and obviously all relevant permissions given.

Any help or ideas please....really appreciated

Best wishes

Ray

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ray, can you open the jpegs you created the first time in this folder? Have you tried creating a new empty folder and saving your jpeg from RAW there?

Just wondering if this could be confusion on your systems part i.e. it has somehow lost the folder path location hence the message 'file could not be created'

Thanks Tony

This is interesting...

Did as you said...

Opened a JPEG that had worked and was in the saved to folder.
Made a few adjustments
Save as...in the same folder
SAVED!!!

But still will not do with the RAW file??

I am wondering if something is wrong with the RAW section???....but it worked before???
Best wishes
Ray

Ray not clear from your last comment did you try creating a completely new folder then opened an image in RAW make a conversion and then save this in jpeg to the new folder?

I did wonder about trying to save jpeg as 16 bit - as this likely to cause a problem. However I do not think this can be done in RAW as I believe that you only get the 8 bit option

Tony

Many thanks...yes...saved in another foleder but would not create...

However....

If I save the adjusted RAW file to a DNG.....in another folder.....

It saves and creates it no problem....it will not however save to JPEG???

Any ideas please

Thanks

Ray

Now frustrated

Just processed 90 RAW files and went to save them all as dng's in another folder....

error message

the file could not be created.

Thought I may be using too much memory so tried doing only 5

Still got the same message.

What on earth can it be???

Ray

Ray sorry but I cannot think why this should happen other than to suggest either save as settings are somehow out, or corruption of the RAW module - seems so unlikely though as you were doing fine only a few hours before!

While not the answer you were looking for what about saving as tiff with LZW compression - advantage no losses. Sorry that it is a bit lame but I have run out of ideas :frown:. Hopefully someone will pick this up and give you the answer

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Are you using ACR, but never following through by opening the files in Photoshop? Instead you are using the Save Image button at bottom left to immediately output the file as JPG? Is that right?.

I can't replicate the problem. What operating system, and how much memory do you have?

I suspect that very few people use ACR like that. Generally they open the file in Photoshop and then save it. Does that work for you - it only takes an extra 2 seconds.

Ray in light of the Adobe report maybe waiting to see would be the best option. Out of curiousity I did try a few nef images and converted to jpeg without going via Photoshop all ok (Win7 64 bit). I assume that you have done this many times before so why now, what has happened/changed?

I think it would be wise to follow Growltigers suggestion and follow through after camera raw into PS and save there.

Had a look on the Adobe forums and found this - seems only applicable to Vista though but the symptoms similar to your description.

Quote:
When you select an output directory, navigate to its parent directory in the directory chooser, select the desired output directory and then click Select. Do not double-click on the desired output directory (to navigate into it) before you click Select. I believe the bug only occurs if you navigate into the desired output directory first.

Hi Richard/Growltiger

Although I am using ACR to output straight to JPEG...I have always done it that way, without any problem???

My PC has 8gb RAM, Quad Core etc....so no issue re memory etc....

I am using VISTA Home.

When I come to open file in photoshop, because ot is RAW, CS5 automatically opens in ACR....so I am not sure how I could save it before it gets to ACR.

However....my friend had a look and said the way I am doing it it the same as him....somehow he managed to get DNG's of the files with the adjustments that were required.

Therefore....unless there is a quick way to do it (pleas say there is!!!...LOL)
I am going to open each of the DNG files in CS2 and manually save as....JPEG etc.

Once again, really appreciate the help with this issue.....looks as if Adobe update when released is the answer though.......hopefully!

Best wishes

Ray

Hi Tom

Ray in light of the Adobe report maybe waiting to see would be the best option. Out of curiousity I did try a few nef images and converted to jpeg without going via Photoshop all ok (Win7 64 bit). I assume that you have done this many times before so why now, what has happened/changed?

I think it would be wise to follow Growltigers suggestion and follow through after camera raw into PS and save there.

Had a look on the Adobe forums and found this - seems only applicable to Vista though but the symptoms similar to your description.

Quote:
When you select an output directory, navigate to its parent directory in the directory chooser, select the desired output directory and then click Select. Do not double-click on the desired output directory (to navigate into it) before you click Select. I believe the bug only occurs if you navigate into the desired output directory first.

I tried the bit about the parent directory etc....still failed with mine...

I have not tried to convert to JPEG before making the adjustments because I assume that once I convert to JPEG, the adjustments will not be as effective as if they were done in RAW???

I am a little unsure what Richard means...

follow through after camera raw into PS and save there

Once I open Camera Raw I can save only by using the button on the bottom left????

Please excuse my ignorance as I do not use ACR a lot but really needed the flexibility of RAW images to handle some tricky lighting conditions for a formal mayoral shoot....

Are you and Richard suggesting I open the images in CS5 as RAW and then save them again in CS5 as RAY?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge!!!

Best wishes

Ray

I believe we are suggesting the same thing i.e. Open your image in Camera Raw, make the required adjustments and just click Open button (bottom right) to load the RAW file into Photoshop. The default file type in Photoshop is of course .psd. So once you are in PS then click on the Save as button to save the file as jpeg, tiff or any other you want. Yes it is extra time and I would not want to do this for dozens but it hopefully is a workaround until you can get to the bottom of this.

I dont know how you feel about this but sometimes rather than just chasing around trying one thing after another to resolve system issues a reinstall may just solve the problem - but of course does not answer how and why for future reference

Edit: You are correct save your Raw files as originals. You can make adjustments in Camera Raw and they will not affect the original Raw data which you can always make changes to in the future. Once you have done what is needed in Raw then you will send the file to PS and from there save it to any format you want after performing any editing steps

Tony and Richard

I am afraid I have so much to learn......your method does work and for the little extra time in getting there that is fine for me....

I am going to persevere with that way of doing the adjustments and install the update on 24th May when released.

However, my apologies at my lack of understanding.....I now see what you mean and it works great.....

Really appreciate the help.....as always!

Best wishes

Ray

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Yes, TonyW and I are suggesting the same thing.

Press the Open Image button (near the bottom right) after making the adjustments in ACR. The image will open in Photoshop itself. Then you simply Save As. On your computer it will only take a few more seconds, and will get you by for the moment.

Having said that I can't make the problem happen.

Richard

My thanks as above....I understand what you and Tony mean now and am so grateful.....guess it's going to be a long night processing!!!!:smile:

Best wishes

Ray

Ray absolutely no need to apologise for any lack of understanding. Until something happens that we have not experienced before how likely is it that we will instinctively or quickly find the correct answer. We all I think can benefit by realising there is so much to learn (however much we think we know :wink:) and is one of the huge benefits of being a forum member here.

Thanks Tony

I guess it is the frustration of what I suppose are the steps most of us should learn and/or be aware of in Photoshop....

However, as you say...it is great being able to call on the help of members here and your help and that of Richard's is really appreciated.

Kind regards

Ray

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Ray - one more tip. You have a powerful computer and plenty of memory, but you are still running Vista, I assume the 64 bit version of it. It would not cost you a lot of either money or time to upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. That is a simple upgrade.

It really is much much better. For example it makes better use of memory, in particular when you have the amount that you do, using it automatically as a cache to speed everything up. And it removes many annoyances.

Latest posts