CS5: Question About Feathering a Mask

I'm still a newbie at Photoshop, but I feel that I'm making steady progress. At least I know enough (usually) to formulate a specific question now. :biggrin:

I have a question about how to feather the edge of an already-created mask. I'm experimenting with the Topaz Lens Effects trial and find myself using the Eraser Tool to "punch thru" a layer to selectively erase an applied effect. (Similar to what's been done to the photo in Post #6 of this thread.)

It works fine except that it leaves a hard edge between the effect and where I erased it. I'd like that edge to be feathered.

I'm hoping there's a way to do this after the erasure has been made. Or is feathering the edge as I'm doing the erasing the only way that this can be done?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the refine edge option for Cs5.

Something similar also in CS3.

Look up refine edge in the help section.

As well as the Refine Mask options which is the most advanced (Menu:Select/Refine Mask) there is the Mask tab next to the Layers, Channels pallette. This offers density and feathering adjustments and also buttons to access the Refine Mask and Color Range.

Another very quick method is to select the mask layer and just apply gaussian blur vary the degree as required.

Just another point that may be useful with Gaussian blur. You can gain even more control by applying a levels command to the mask and adjusting white black and grey points.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You might want to try using Topaz on a duplicate layer. Then you have the flxibility to adjust overall opacity of the layer. Or you can create a lyer mask and use the brush on the layer mask to "hide" the effect in certain areas. You can select any edge softness you want for the brush. You can even apply feathering to the entire mask. Much more flexible and by using a layer, you do not change your original layer.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is wrong with using the feather slider in the mask panel? What I like about it is that you can change it at will and change feathering settings later on if you change your mind about existing settings.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using the feather slider. Gaussian blur in combination with levels is also very capable and just an alternative (and older) way to reach the same end result.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom