Ctenuchid Moth

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by MGlennn, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Fairly rare little guy, I am told....most come out at night except these...easy to shoot because they don't mind the flash or the sight of the photographer. Nikon 200 f4 micro with 1.4x TC @ 1/60 f11 SB800 on iTTL>

[​IMG]

another view...

[​IMG]

up close and personal...

[​IMG]

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Mike:

These are really good but that last one is fantastic! Nice detail and wonderful colors. I have seen these only a few times and usually hanging around Goldenrod and Queen Anne's Lace. Very interesting creatures and colorful, too! :biggrin:

3. Thanks for looking Lisa...appreciate your comments... :smile:

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I agree w/Lisa...nice shots, but the last one is superb! Talk about up in your face! I can't say I've ever seen one of those before, but then again, I don't usually get that close to them....

5. Thanks for your comments Leigh....they are neat little bugs...this is the time of year that I caught some pics of them last year...don't know much about their lifecycle etc....again, thanks for looking... :smile:

6. Good shots and so close up. Kind of an ugly guy.

7. Nice ones Mike, I like the closeup fo the the rolled up tongue.

Martin

8. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Nice photos!!
    I posted a couple of this critter last week but had it misidentified. Called it a grape leaf skeletonizer and my moth taxonomists tell me it is Cissips fulvicolis (yellow-collared scape moth).
    J. Snider

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Mike. I've been so busy at work since I got my 180 that I've hardly had a chance to shoot. These make me want to mount it up and head for the bushes. :smile:

10. Thanks Gordon, Martin, Jerry and Frank...!! Appreciate your comments... I am going to try to spend some more time in the backyard this weekend..:wink: