Ctenuchid Moth

Fairly rare little guy, I am told....most come out at night except these...easy to shoot because they don't mind the flash or the sight of the photographer. Nikon 200 f4 micro with 1.4x TC @ 1/60 f11 SB800 on iTTL>

33495454-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

another view...

33495446-L.jpg

up close and personal...

33495461-L.jpg

Hi Mike:

These are really good but that last one is fantastic! Nice detail and wonderful colors. I have seen these only a few times and usually hanging around Goldenrod and Queen Anne's Lace. Very interesting creatures and colorful, too! :biggrin:

I agree w/Lisa...nice shots, but the last one is superb! Talk about up in your face! I can't say I've ever seen one of those before, but then again, I don't usually get that close to them....

Thanks for your comments Leigh....they are neat little bugs...this is the time of year that I caught some pics of them last year...don't know much about their lifecycle etc....again, thanks for looking... :smile:

Nice photos!!
I posted a couple of this critter last week but had it misidentified. Called it a grape leaf skeletonizer and my moth taxonomists tell me it is Cissips fulvicolis (yellow-collared scape moth).
J. Snider

Very nice Mike. I've been so busy at work since I got my 180 that I've hardly had a chance to shoot. These make me want to mount it up and head for the bushes. :smile:

Thanks Gordon, Martin, Jerry and Frank...!! Appreciate your comments... I am going to try to spend some more time in the backyard this weekend..:wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom