1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cuba!!

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by sam821, Sep 28, 2008.

1. My last travel and the one which pointed me towards a DSLR. All these photos were taken with my Sony H9 point & shoot. even though they were not done with a Nikon camera, I still wanted to share a rare trip I was able to take (legally).

There are plenty others on my flickr account which you are more than welcome to view (and comment). Enjoy!

The very famous Malecon - Seawall along the main avenue
    2893680385_dab43494f2_b.

Morro - Famous fort on bay of Havana
    View attachment 258688

Sunset in Havana
    View attachment 258689

Varadero - Labeled as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world!
    View attachment 258690

Bacunayagua standing on a bridge that crosses this valley Strait of Florida is in the horizon
    View attachment 258691

Capitol in Havana at night - The best I could do with a point & shoot
    View attachment 258692

Playing domino's on the street - Very popular
    View attachment 258693

Bus packed like sardines... No A/C
    View attachment 258694

Cementario Colon - very famous but run down! Needs to be maintained!
    View attachment 258695

Taxi service in El Rincon
    View attachment 258696

Church of San Lazaro - A pilgrimage site for Cubans
    View attachment 258697

view looking down a typical street in La Habana Vieja
    View attachment 258698

Dome of the Capitol in Havana
    View attachment 258699

1959 Chevy Impala.. yep there were tons of beautiful classics on the street!
    View attachment 258700

Very typical run down apartment in Havana
    View attachment 258701

Capitol of Havana - Very similar (same plans) to our Capital
    View attachment 258702

Typical Political sign in Cuba - They do not like Bush at all!
    View attachment 258703

Another beauty parked by my wife's Grandmother's house.
    2894507386_81e67fb18d_b.

This was an eye opening trip and I hope one day relationships can open up between the US and Cuba because we are missing out on probably the most beautiful island in the Caribbean!

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice shots Jose, you've shown the country off well

3. Jose....muy lindo...really wanted to see Cuba now.Thanks for sharing:wink:

4. Thank you both. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos!

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent Series! Thanks For Sharing!

6. Thank you Steve!

7. Great stuff

Great stuff thanks for sharing

8. Thanks dude... Its hard to compete with your Paris threads but hey, its a unique destination! :biggrin:

9. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    Nice shots. Just curious under what exemption you were granted permission and was it a long process? You had to go through The Treasury Dept? I'd love to take a trip there.

Andy

10. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great job, that P&S is a good little camera.

11. Andy, There are only a few options for Americans to go to Cuba. The way I was able to go was that my wife has immediate family there and she is allowed to visit them once every three years (legally). Prior to marrying her, I was just a typical american who could not visit! Hopefully these DUMB rules change in the near future! Oh and yes we had to go through the treasury dept., get visa's from Cuba and pay a ridiculous amount of money for the flight and cuban taxes.

Thank you! Yea that was a great camera. 15X optical zoom sure helped alot! I sold it to get my Nikon. :frown: But if you want a P&S that was definitely a good one!

12. Nice series! It's plain to see, however, that it's Castro's Cuba. Very third world looking with the old cars, rundown buildings, horse drawn taxi, etc. It's a shame, really. I could only imagine what their economy would be like if there were a democratic government there. Lot's of tourism, I'd bet. I've always heard that it was a beautiful island and country.

13. Yea, its funny yet sad at the same time. In reference to the cars, you see the American cars year end at 1959. That's when Castro took over. Cuba was a booming town with ton's of American's living there. And basically what you see all over Havana is that construction stopped and maintenance stopped in 1959 as well.

I told my in-laws (who came from Cuba 8 years ago) That there is a ton of potential. Once the relationship's open and money can start going into the economy there it will be that booming town once more!

14. You have an excellent eye for composition. The photos are great. I would hope to visit there one day.

Les

15. Thank you Les, I appreciate the kind feedback!

16. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Your photos are wonderful - thanks for giving us an opportunity to see a country that many of us may never get to visit...

17. Great series - thank you so much for sharing them.

Cuba could probably double the country's net worth if they shipped all those cars to Barrett-Jackson :) 

Don

18. Thanks Lyndee and Don!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.