1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cubs Clinch NL Central

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng45ine, Sep 21, 2008.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I shot the Chicago Cubs versus St. Louis Cardinals game yesterday as the Chicago Cubs clinched the National League Central Division by a score of 5-4. I shot these images with a D300 and 300mm f/2.8 lens handheld.

Actor Vince Vaughn was in attendence...

And Vince Vaughn threw out the first pitch...

Cubs pitcher Ted Lily took the ball for this game where the Magic Number was "1"...
    View attachment 255572

View attachment 255573

St. Louis Cardinal pitcher Joel Pineiro takes the mound against a hungry Cubs offense...
    View attachment 255574

Former St. Louis Cardinal outfielder Jim Edmunds drives the ball deep against Pineiro in the second inning...
    View attachment 255575

Cubs first baseman Derek Lee tags out Albert Pujols on a bad throw to first base...
    View attachment 255576

Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols steps up to bat...
    View attachment 255577

And moves to his left to field a ground ball...
    View attachment 255578

Cubs catcher Geovany Soto slides into a double play...
    View attachment 255579

Cubs setup reliever Carlos Marmol...
    View attachment 255580

The Wrigley Field scoreboard says it all...
    View attachment 255581

2. Nice pics as always, Frank! The last one of Derek Lee has quite the optical illusion. It looks like he has no left hand. :tongue:

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Well done Frank
    Great series of shots and it looks like you'll have more chances with the team clinching

4. Frank,

WOW..great shots!

Did you have a media pass? If not, was it a problem getting the camera and lens into Wrigley Field? Where were your seats?

GO CUBS GO!

Glenn

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks guys....nope, no media pass, my wife and I sat in the second row behind the Cubs dugout. No issues with bringing in my camera gear either, but as a courtesy to those around me, I left the lens hood off my lenses. I shot over 1,200 images, I have some post-work ahead of me!

6. RedWingNut

RedWingNut Guest

VERY NICE work in this thread. Well done.

7. Great pictures! What a good game to have been at.

8. outstanding Frank, Vince should buy that shot of himself on the mound :wink:

9. Great series Frank. Really nice isolation throughout. You made the most of those primo seats! Congrats on the Cubs' win.

10. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Great!
    Go Cubs Go!

I went to the Cubs/Cards game earlier in August but didn't want to risk taking my camera and being turned away.

Ohhhh how I regretted that

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Frank I am so glad to see that you 2 had a great day and a great game to watch !

These images are top notch ( but I would expect nothing less from you ).

Congrat's on your special day buddy.

12. Fabulous shots Frank. What an experience!

Go Cubbies Go!

Rich

13. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    well done Frank, no pro couldve done better

14. frank.... WOW
    great shooting
    some awesome shots

congrats to the cubbies

could THIS be the year?

how about CUBS vs. RAYS
    that would be AWESOME

15. Frank, OUTSTANDING. GO CUBS!!! I find myself a little torn this year. The Rays are actually in the playoffs, which has never been an issue in the past. So now I have to pull for them. Normally... its Cubs, Bears and Bulls. I thought the Bears had us today... but your ex (griese) came through for us.... LOL. THANKS FOR THE TRADE! LOL!

16. Frank!

Thank you for posting those! I grew up just 2-3 blocks from Wrigley, where I used to run out to stand on Waveland playing catch to wait for an Ernie Banks or Billy Williams homer to land. I never saw one of those, yet seeing these pix makes me want to be there once again to see the "Cubs win, Holy Cow"!!

17. Frank, these are great. I just spent the day trying to take some shots inside our domed stadium with very little luck. Wish I had some light!!

18. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Outstanding images...
    Even more so considering where you were sitting!
    Truly excellent photography!

1200 images...yep, you've got some editing time awaiting you. :biggrin:

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate that you viewed my shots and commented. We are still savoring our division title, but we also know that alot of baseball is yet to be played. We are also hoping that the White Sox win their division title on their way to a subway series with the Cubs.

20. Sweet shots Frank you Cubby fans must be stoked, I sit here biting my nails to see if my Phils get inot the playoffs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.