Cuckoo Bee

This is Nomada lathburiana, a common bee at this time of year and a Cuckoo of several species of Andrena Mining Bee. They spend the night on the underside of a leaf or on a blade of grass, holding on with their jaws until the sun rises the next day and they are warm enough to fly again. They are tiny bees but I know several trees overlooking Andrena nesting sites where, if you get there early enough you can see them hanging from the leaves like fruit in large numbers. This makes them very easy to photograph!

This is the male -

1256960238_wNbZhG2-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the female -

1256819884_mjVPvR7-XL.jpg

D300, 60mm AF-S, SB400

:smile:

Thank you. I think I take the same pictures of these bees every year but every year they amaze me!

Great shots! From your description I'm guessing that you've reversed these images 180 degrees to put the bees on the top of the leaf rather than hanging on the bottom. The male appears to be sound asleep while the female appears to be alert... is there anything we can conclude from that... :biggrin:

Great shots! From your description I'm guessing that you've reversed these images 180 degrees to put the bees on the top of the leaf rather than hanging on the bottom. The male appears to be sound asleep while the female appears to be alert... is there anything we can conclude from that... :biggrin:

No I carefully picked the blade of grass and held it up to the light. It's hard to get a clear shot otherwise.

These two -

870211856_AhWCg-M.jpg

1256884640_Hm67gVv-M.jpg

were taken 'on the tree'. They can spend all night hanging on horizontally like that.

This is the only shot I have of one on an unplucked piece of grass but I don't like the background so I tend to try and isolate them now -

511788572_5QUVj-M.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom