Cucumber deadly warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not eat Cucumbers. Locally Giant Eagle stores have a recall on them but ten people have died in Germany, two in Britain from eating them. Spain is the source, they have also been shipped to the U.S.A.
E.Coli causing kidney failure. Throw them out or return them, wash your hands.

Thanks for the alert Greg. Lucky for me, they hate me for hours after eating one piece, so I don't eat one piece.

But I will advise my family immediately. my daughter is a vegetarian, so she needs to know for sure. Already texted her, thanks!

I eat organic, but even that is no guarantee. Latest reports in the papers: anti-biotics in animak meat (so there are hardly any working anti-biotics left since people have become resistant), repacked meat with date long expired, chemical oil with dioxine in cattle feed, ecoli vegetables, and I could certainly name a few more. This is not happening in China, but in countries like the Netherlands and Germany. Some companies are prepared to offer human life for a fast buck.

I eat organic, but even that is no guarantee.

Correct, it is no guarantee as this recall impacts organic cucumbers. In fact, "a study by the Center for Global Food Issues found that although organic foods make up about 1 percent of America’s diet, they also account for about 8 percent of confirmed E. coli cases." Now I don't know the validity of the study or group and don't have time to go crazy - but it is something to beware of.

Is organic a marketing label taken over by agribusiness to increase profits or a healthy alternative - I am not sure. But beware that this recall is for organic cucumbers from Spain. "Austria's food safety agency ordered a recall of organically grown cucumbers, tomatoes and aubergines supplied by a Spanish producer which is thought to be the source of the outbreak. It said 33 Austrian stores were affected."

My daughter was headed to lake and had fresh cucumbers cut to eat! I am really glad I alerted her, she's not going to eat them now, whew. Close call! Thanks again Greg.

Source?

I can't find anything about this affecting the US the same as Europe. There is nothing about it at fda.gov

This was published a short time ago:
10 Dead As 'Killer Cucumber' Outbreak Spreads
All of the cases are understood to have been linked with travel to Germany.

Giant Eagle cucumber recall
Giant Eagle issued a recall of cucumbers sold at its stores from May 14 through Thursday because of possible salmonella contamination.
Emphasis added. This is clearly not E.Coli.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I always followed Dr Johnson's sage advice concerning cucumbers* anyway, but this seems rather unlikely - there's no reason to assume cucumbers are any more nutritious for E. Coli than they are to H. sapiens - not very.

Over here "Organic" is pure marketing fluff; there are no recognised standards to determine what foods can use the term.

*"A good cucumber should be finely sliced, lightly dusted with pepper, and then thrown out as good for nothing."

Source?

I can't find anything about this affecting the US the same as Europe. There is nothing about it at fda.gov

This was published a short time ago:
10 Dead As 'Killer Cucumber' Outbreak Spreads

Giant Eagle cucumber recall
Emphasis added. This is clearly not E.Coli.

Giant Eagle is running Television ads in Western PA. warning of the recall. It's also on all the local news stations and in newspapers. Giant Eagle says it's Salmonella contamination. I thought E.Coli and Samonella are 70% identical at the DNA level.

The BBC is my other source. HERE They are calling it E.Coli.

Here is the distribution report.

" The recalled product was directly distributed by L&M Companies between March 30th and April 7th to wholesalers in New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee, and one retailer with distribution centers in Mississippi, Nebraska, Texas and Wyoming ."

HERE is the FDA report. Maybe Giant Eagle bought the entire lot, I don't know.
Why do I have to prove this? Eat Cucumbers if you want to.

Why? Because you are connecting two completely unrelated issues and unnecessarily creating fear. Your original post implies that cucumbers sold in the US are contaminated with E.Coli. as you state
<snip>Spain is the source, they have also been shipped to the U.S.A. E.Coli causing kidney failure.<snip>

From your FDA link:
April 22, 2011 - L&M Companies, Inc. of Raleigh, NC is issuing a voluntary recall of one lot (1590 cartons) of whole cucumbers because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. No illnesses have been reported in association with this recall, and no other products are involved.

This was over a month ago. And is about Salmonella. NOT E.Coli.

Enteropathogenic E. coli and Salmonella share so many common aspects that they are often paired for causal and treatment discussions; to differentiate them would lead to confusingly detailed specifics which has been shown to confuse these unable to comprehend the basis of the discussions. Hence considering them especially when infecting humans as similar.

Huh?

Both can cause diarrhoea, that's about the end of the similarity.

Bruce

Whatever happened to locally grown produce picked by Americans? I got my garden in and I can't wait till picken' season rolls around.

local grown produce is almost a thing of past. everything is grown in greenhouse environment nowadays

True! We can still get good locally grown produce here, just not year round. I just can't wait to eat a tomato that tastes like a tomato instead of a block of wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom