Current camera & gear airline carry-on requirements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Dec 1, 2017.

1. I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic recently but I find I am still a bit confused about the requirements. My wife and I are traveling to South America next week and I'd like to be prepared.

We have Global Entry, which includes TSA precheck, so I don't think we'll be required to remove the cameras from their bags.

I understand that all batteries must be in carry-on luggage.

Has anyone flown recently who can confirm my understanding?

2. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Jim, are you flying any airlines within South America? Argentina? We went through extensive checks, had to remove cameras, HD's, etc and have them scanned twice to get on a flight in Buenos Aires. Then they said there is a severe weight limit. On one flight I got hit with $250 in excess baggage. Sometimes they will try to enforce a 5 kg limit on carry on baggage, though I have always been able to get on with much more. It also depends on which international airlines you have taken to Argentina. Aerolineas Argentinas has baggage agreements with certain airlines, and then they allow a larger weight and two bags if you are continuing on to the USA. The airline I had flown internationally wasn't in an agreement with them, so we paid luggage fees/bag when we were flying back to Buenos Aires to leave the country.

3. Thanks, Steve. We have a charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia with luggage and carry-on weights clearly spelled out. My concern is Delta to Miami and American from Miami to BA.

And I am only concerned here about special requirements for cameras and electronics. The weight and size limits are clear.

4. That was the case in my flights to and from Belize in February. We didn't have to remove anything from our bags including the computer.

5. I flew all day today. Nothing has changed recently but boarding order did change earlier this year.

I have global entry also and TSA precheck is the same as always

6. Thanks for the confirmation, Mike.
    Your camera gear remained in the bags you carried on?

7. MortyCapp

MortyCapp

Mar 25, 2011
    London
    Just come back from California. No need to take any camera equipment out of the bag. Just laptop. Global Entry / Pre was not available on BA at San Diego airport. But enhanced security check at Heathrow on the way to San Diego. Lots of people taken aside for full bag search at boarding. The good news is they boarded first. ;-)

8. Yes but they don’t make anyone take it out

9. No issues on recent Iceland trip.

10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Flew inside continental US round trip this week. No removal of camera gear.

11. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Came from Frankfurt/Germany to NYC in May and went back in June I didn't had to open the bag. Just put it on the scanner.

Klaus

12. Thank you all for the reassurance. Guess I won't change my packing system.

Now to figure out how to get around the 17-lb weight limit for carry-on bags for the charter flight! :(

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Wear a photo vest. Works very well for me. Perhaps you can keep a camera and lens on a strap so you can shoot during the flight.....and they won't be in your hand luggage. For charter flights, gate checking your camera bag may not be so risky. Usually you can watch as they put baggage in the hole. I've done that a few times and never been uneasy about how the gear was handled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yes, I have several options like that. Just have to plan it out.

A complication is that it will be cold here when we depart, warm for the day and overnight in Buenos Aires, and cold again in Ushuaia.

15. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I never pack a coat since they take up so much room in luggage......and planes are usually chilly. I carry/wear the coat on board and wear layers underneath.

16. When I was leaving Amsterdam or Oslo (can't remember) a couple years ago I had to take the camera body out of the bag and put it in the tray for security scan but it was pretty painless once I understood what they wanted.

17. 2 years ago I was flying to Salt Lake City and at our departure airport (Lewiston, ID) I was asked to open my camera bag. The agent exclaimed, "Oh man, you have one of the new 200-500s! Can I hold it?" Small airport, not much of a line, the human touch--no complaints!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Oslo makes you take all electronic devices out and put them in a bin on the belt. That included camera bodies, computer, and extra HD's.
    It was the same at Tromso, and Longyearbyen.

19. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    I ALWAYS keep my gear in my carry on. When I flew to Germany and back in August/September, I did not have to pull anything out other than my laptop. I fly frequently so I'm the guy with his shoes belt, jacket off halfway through the line. I get to the front, laptop slides out, and everything else goes quickly into the bin.

20. Only place I've had an issue recently was flying out of Taiwan. They took all of my allen wrenches over 4 cm in length, and took all of the screwdriver and allen bits from my RRS multitool. But I got to keep the tool itself and one wrench that just made it under 4cm. In Asia they scrutinized buy camera gear more than the US (with pre-check) but I didn't have to empty anything out, just open up the bag for inspection.