Current camera is a D300s. I am looking to jump to Z

I have a D300s with grip and used to shoot a lot of sports

i no longer shoot sports and am more into Milky Way, Landscape and general photography. Also getting into video lately

i like the idea of switching from DX to full frame AND switching to mirrorless at the same time
I have a 17-55/2.8 / 70-200/2.8 as my primary lenses, along with the usual 35/1.8 / 18-55

I am thinking the Z6 is my best bet

thoughts?

Z6 is a fantastic camera, and I found the FTZ adapter to be rock solid. Nikon dropped the ball on a functional grip, but I would still recommend getting what the have for a better feel in your hands.

It should be noted that the Z6 defaults to DX mode when DX lenses are attached (either native Z lenses or through FTZ). You currently can't disable that. DX mode on the Z6 is somewhere around 10mb as opposed to the 24mb full frame resolution. That resolution may or may not be an issue for you if you intend to keep your DX glass (is that 35 1.8 the DX version?)

We keep trying to get Randy (above) to get some native Z glass which are among the best lenses Nikon has made. Really, the Z glass is just excellent and outperforms every G lens equivalent and I would urge you to at least get the 24-70 f4 as a kit with the Z6.

I'll let others speak to Milky Way and Video as I don't do much of either, but as a general landscape/travel camera, the Z6 is excellent.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Keep your 70-200, very useful for Astro work, sell other lenses and D300 and grab a z6 or 7 with the 24-70 lens, and pick up a 50mm 1.4 and adapter, to complete Astro kit.

I agree with the Z6 recommendation. However, if you are not in a big hurry you might want to wait for the rumored Z6S expected in September.
I have not been keeping up with the rumored next Z's but I hope if they do come out with a Z6S they add a functional grip to the redesign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would be getting the 24-70/f4 with the camera for sure
all my current lenses are DX and I would begin a slow transition to Z glass

i have a small D5600 I use for travel so I use the DX glass on it as well

i checked the Z5 this morning but think waiting for the Z6s is a solid option.

cost wise it might be best to jump at a lower priced Z6 and ‘get in the game’. Then upgrade to a Z6s or Z7s next year.

I upgraded from the D300 (that had been rebuilt by Nikon once already) to the Z6 earlier this year in anticipation of a European trip that didn’t happen due to the Wu-flu. The kids are long done with HS sports, so high FPS was not really a consideration. Went with the 24-70 f/2.8. Haven’t had a whole lot of opportunities to put it through its paces, but I’ve been very very happy with the upgrade thus far.

Last edited:
ADF2E516-0FBE-42A0-88B9-BDA8E7BC049D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

why did I box up my d300s today?. And the grip and a 50 f1.8D and a 35 f1.8???

BECAUSE

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom