curve question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Terri French, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I am wondering about something. I use CS2 and ACR to convert my raw pictures. With the curves tab in ACR, would it be possible to use some of the Nikon developed curves there. Where would I find the plotting points of some of the more popular curves so I could replicate them in the curve section of ACR. Or, if that is not possible, could you do it in Photoshop itself?

I don't have Nikon Capture, but would like to experiment with some curves. OldSkools new curve looks interesting to me.

2. Me too. Hope we get some good answers here.

3. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Terri

The curves inside ACR is a bit interesting. It works on linear gamma space, but it is designed so that it works on the normalized gamma space so that it is similar to curves inside photoshop.

And this means that one can not port the curves directly to ACR.

But here is an interesting option, if you have the time and $$, you can do what this guy did:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@1019.3sVAe0SPu3m.36@.3bba8fd5

Needs a signup, so I will copy his content.

"Since the ACR curve appears as though it were in gamma corrected space, it can not simply be copied from the Nikon Capture curve. I placed points on the ACR curve to give give the same values on a Kodak Q14 step scale that the curve in NC gave and measured the step values with Norman Koren's StepChart utility in Imitest, imported the results into Excel, and plotted the two curve results for display. The raw conversions were rendered into aRGG by both programs for datab plotting, but the resulting photos were converted to sRGB for web display."

and his converted ACR curve for sReala is here:

http://home.comcast.net/~billjanes1/binary/sReala.xmp

Personally, I am getting very frustrated with CS2. Capture just seems to do a much better job.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks for the information

This sounds a little too complicated for me. I guess if this is the process one must go through to use Nikon curves in ACR, I'll just have to do without it.

Thank you for your time in explaining this to me.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Terri, you can download Nikon Capture and use it for 30 days free to se if you like it.

I tried it and sveral others before I concluded that I liked NC for how it handled curves especially, since it is the only program that displays the shot with the curve in effect that you used for that shot.

I also use PS Elements, and Irfanview, in my "workflow", sometimes I can skip Photoshop completely:
    1 - Nikon Capture
    2- Photoshop
    3 - Irfanview

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Ken,

I already did that. It kept crashing on my laptop. I have an athlon 64 3400 processor and I don't think it works very well with it. If a trial download of the new version comes out, I'll try that one and see if it works better.

Thanks for the tip.

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Re: Hi Ken,

There are some known issues when installing NC with the Athlon 64 processor & WindowsXP SP2. There are several posts, and info at Nikonusa.com support. Go to these URL's they will explain how to get around that problem. It's easier than it seems....don't give up. :cry:

http://support.nikontech.com/...

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=5394&highlight=capture+sp2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
  9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Terri, there is a new Nikon Capture version 4.3 out now (as of yesterday, I believe). Perhaps that works for your laptop's AMD-64. Otherwise, Ken has pointed to a solution.

10. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Terri
    I was having the same problem. I followed the links Ken-L has above and got that problem corrected.

Now I've got what may be a driver problem according to Paul. So hopefully I'll get that taken care of tonight when I get home.

It sure is nice to have all these folks around. I don't know where I'd be without them.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    rawmagick is probably one of the best ways to go.

Peter Dove and Iliah are the developers, and forum members.

http://www.rawmagick.com/

e-mail either one of them and tell them your concerns. Rawmagick is linear conversion and prob the best. Difficult for me yes, but so is all the rest.

Give it a try and the support is unsurpassed.

GHO uses it and so do many others here. I get tons of e-mail from all beta users everyday...

Terri they have tons of curves and can and will tell you how to do everything. :>)))

No I do not work for or affiliated in any way.

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

My understanding is that the Nikon Capture program's Nikon Control feature is the only way to load a curve into the D70 - I don't know that it is the same for the other digital Nikons, but would assume so unless someone can say otherwise.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Re: Hi Ken,

[There are some known issues when installing NC with the Athlon 64 processor & WindowsXP SP2. There are several posts, and info at Nikonusa.com support. Go to these URL's they will explain how to get around that problem. It's easier than it seems....don't give up. :cry:
    [/quote]

I did get it loaded. When running it my computer would freeze up. The computer works fine with everything else.

It was soooo slow as well.

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Obelix
    Thank you for the links. I was very busy yesterday and didn't get time to read them yet. I will study them later today. I appreciate you taking the time to send them to me.

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Let me know how you fix it. Is your NC locking up when you are running it?

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I'll read up on this and possibly give it a try. Do they have a trial version you can try out?

17. Terri, Raw Magic Lite Version 1 has not been released as a product. It's still being beta tested. I signed up to get it last Octobe and it's still not out. Unless you want to participate in developing the product, you should probably wait for the full product release and documentation.

FYI, I posted an inquiry on the Raw Magick forums on June 9th and asked for information about product release, but have gotten no response. If you learn more, please let me know. Iliah, Peter, how about a little more communication for those of us who aren't in the beta program!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

18. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
  19. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
  20. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Sorry, I was shooting in Moscow having limited Internet access. Peter is having a very busy May/June schedule too.

We are working on implementing camera profiles and "looks" right now. That will take two weeks approximately.