Custom Brackets vs. RSS

I've done a ton of reading the last couple of days and have decided to choose between the Custom Brackets Digital Pro M and the RSS WPF-1.

Does anyone have experience with both of these brands? I'll be using the bracket with the D-700.

Here's a real ignorant question but is there any difference between using the L-bracket supplied by RSS vs. the Kirk L-Bracket?

Thanks for your advice!

I found your post through a search for Custom Brackets and have the same question. I'd been researching a new tripod and ballhead, and was pretty well set on getting an L-bracket setup from RRS. I stopped in my closest pro camera shop the other day to see if there were some tripods in stock I could check out in person, and the salesperson there tried pretty hard to sell me on the Custom Brackets rotating bracket rather than the RRS. It's tempting because it does seem simple and inexpensive, but I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this item -- is it durable? Worthwhile?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, Bob, but maybe by bumping this thread you might get some more info too! If you've already made a choice, I'd love to know what you decided on and how it's working for you. I'm also shooting with a D700.

I use the RRS Portrait Perfect flash bracket and have not tried the Custom Brackets products. I doubt you can find a better made or more durable product than those from Really Right Stuff.

The Custom Brackets seem to be highly regarded, but as near as I can tell use their own camera plates rather than the Arca-Swiss system. If you prefer (as I do) to mount a single plate to your camera body or lens to use with a full range of accessories (tripod head, flash bracket, etc.) from various manufacturers then the Arca-Swiss system is the way to go in my opinion. RRS, Kirk, Wimberly and others make quality A-S compatible products. If all you need is a flash bracket and don't anticipate needing the A-S mounting system in the future then I expect you would be pleased with the Custom Brackets product.

in practice, Kirk and RRS L-brackets work the same. If you shoot tethered, there are some comparisons to be made.

some generalizations in my limited observations, there may be exceptions in some cases.

the RRS bracket is made to be loosened and slid outboard to make room for the cables. when retracted, the side mount adds minimal size to the camera.

the kirk bracket does not slide out, they make a separate spacer block for cable exits. the bracket itself adds more size to the camera but it is easier to open the side doors with the bracket installed.

I've never figured out the RRS web site. When I click on flash brackets it does not work.
I've never been able to find the wedding bracket.

I've done a ton of reading the last couple of days and have decided to choose between the Custom Brackets Digital Pro M and the RSS WPF-1.

Does anyone have experience with both of these brands? I'll be using the bracket with the D-700.

Here's a real ignorant question but is there any difference between using the L-bracket supplied by RSS vs. the Kirk L-Bracket?

Thanks for your advice!
I just picked up the Custom Brackets Pro M Kit ... I have used it only once with a D700 with MBD10 and a 24-70 and SB900 ... Big outfit, but even with the big weight, it rotates flawlessly and the flash is rock solid. It stays directly over the lens.
I agree with one of the other posters below ... I tried to figure out the RRS site and what they included, but found it very confusing.
I went to a store here in Toronto, and the Pro M Kit had everything included that I wanted.
The flash tilts on the bracket also which is good for closer subjects. It also has a neat folding system with legs so that you can put the camera down without leaning it on the lens.
Anyways, I was pleased to see it moved so easily with the heavy weight.
Anyways, I am really pleased with mine ....
Good luck.
Tim

I should have mentioned that I too have the Custom Bracket Pro-M.

I think it's perfect, but I'm always looking for the best option. I don't like the way the RRS flips the flash. If you're using a flash diffuser it ends up sideways. With the CB the flash never moves. I use it with a quick release that fits my tripod and monopod. Switching from portrait to landscape is quick even on a tripod. I used it for fourteen weddings this year and haven't found everything better yet. And yes it does lie flat in my Pelican case, I just lay it on top and close the lid. Buy the Pro-M kit it's all you need.

This one is what I have, and I love it! First thing I said when it arrived was, "What a well-machined and solid piece of equipment..." Literally! :smile: I chose this one b/c i liked the carrying handle on the right side, b/c that's the hand I use to carry it when I'm not using it... the handle is offset enough that it does not interfere with the shooting... the flash "post" goes up and down to make it smaller/larger, and the camera rotates, not the flash... this has to be the best thing about this bracket. I hate the ones where the flash is flipped! Also, I like the 2 little "feet" that flip out of the bottom so I can set it down on a hard, flat surface without it falling over. The only downside to this bracket is that it is rather bulky (heavy, too, but I don't notice much, big muscles... :tongue: JK!) It does not pack into a small space very easily. BUT! It will last me for a very long time!!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom