Custom PC site?

anyone know a website that i can go down a list and choose what parts i want... i have never built a PC so i dont know all the parts .. to just buy them individualy from like newegg... id like to buy as a package and i can assemble ..

lookin for something to run a triple monitor setup

anyone know a website that i can go down a list and choose what parts i want... i have never built a PC so i dont know all the parts .. to just buy them individualy from like newegg... id like to buy as a package and i can assemble ..

lookin for something to run a triple monitor setup
I don't know of any "checklist" type site like you're thinking of but I can offer some help

You'll need the following:
Case (Anything with decent airflow. I use a Raidmax Smilodon myself, Coolermaster makes some good cases also)
Power supply (Antec, Coolermaster, Corsair, you'll probably need 800w+ to run an SLI/Crossfire setup with 2 video cards for 3 monitors)
Motherboard (MSI, Gigabyte, Asus SLI or Crossfire compatible for 3 monitors)
CPU (Your choice, I prefer AMD)
Video cards (2 SLI/Crossfire compatible video cards for 3 monitors)
Optical drives of your choice (DVD, DVD-R, CD-R, whatever you want)
Hard drive(s) (SATA3 please, make sure your motherboard supports this. Much faster than old IDE)
RAM (Check with your CPU/mobo manf to see what's the highest rated RAM you can run. Brands to check out: Corsair, OCZ. Try to shoot for 8gigs if possible of RAM)
Misc (Mouse/keyboard/speakers/Operating system/etc)

You're pretty much set with that list. 3 Monitors is going to be expensive. You'll need at least 2 video cards, and an SLI(nVidia)/Crossfire(ATi) compatible board. Running two monitors would be much cheaper. Anywho, that's a basic outline as to what is needed to build a PC. Let me know if you need any more help.

how much more would it cost to run triple monitors vs 2
Well, you would need an SLI/Crossfire compatible motherboard (costs more than normal boards) and you would need 2 video cards instead of just one. Also your whole setup would need a beefier power supply. Few hundred more I suppose

well if its only 200-300 more then that wouldnt be bad ... i was thinkin like 500-1k more

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I thought SLI/Crossfire was to allow you to have multiple graphics boards powering just one display. The processor on the second or third card are used to provide more calculations for your main monitor, to increase graphics performance. But that isn't what he wants, he wants more monitors. So I'm not sure he needs SLI/Crossfire.

Certainly for two monitors, he just needs one card which supports two monitors.

Couln't he just get a second card, that will give him four monitors.

Can you explain this?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Use that to calculate the amount of power needed for all your components.
On top of having recommended manufacturers for parts, check out the hardware reviews for the different components that you're looking to buy. Check out:

http://www.anandtech.com

I pretty sure they have a roundup every year for a base intel/amd and performance system with pricing guidelines based on when the article is published.

With respect to your triple display, you can always go with a single high end card and then a secondary basic card (if all you're going to really use on that 3rd display is desktop functionality. Otherwise you might as well pony up the dough and get two midrange -> high end video cards (295GTX imo is overkill when the technology changes every 18 months or so).

Biggest cost definately will be your monitors, and I'm assuming it's going to be for photographic work (well at least some of it). IPS monitors don't come cheap (I'm still looking for two replacement monitors for my 24" Westinghouse MVA).

I thought SLI/Crossfire was to allow you to have multiple graphics boards powering just one display. The processor on the second or third card are used to provide more calculations for your main monitor, to increase graphics performance. But that isn't what he wants, he wants more monitors. So I'm not sure he needs SLI/Crossfire.

Certainly for two monitors, he just needs one card which supports two monitors.

Couln't he just get a second card, that will give him four monitors.

Can you explain this?
If a motherboard isn't SLI/Crossfire compatible, where would he put the second card? PCI-E =/= PCI

SLI / Crossfire in not a requirement.

There are some restrictions though on what is compatible. Here's some info from Microsoft on running multiple monitors.
He still needs multiple video cards. To run 3 monitors. Unless he's cloning a display with a splitter which would be a waste of a monitor.

If a motherboard isn't SLI/Crossfire compatible, where would he put the second card? PCI-E =/= PCI
SLI slots are PCIe x16 slots.

He still needs multiple video cards. To run 3 monitors. Unless he's cloning a display with a splitter which would be a waste of a monitor.
Of course two cards are required. I was just trying to correct your statement about SLI or Crossfire being a requirement.

SLI slots are PCIe x16 slots.

Of course two cards are required. I was just trying to correct your statement about SLI or Crossfire being a requirement.
Sorry my mistake Gene.

I forgot you have to actually DISABLE SLI/Crossfire to run 4 monitors xD I suck on Mondays.

With SLI/Crossfire enabled he would only be able to run 2 monitors. Forgot about that. But then again he would still need a board that has multiple slots to support it.

well from what i came up with it would cost me right at 1100 bucks to build without monitors

So, what parts have you decided on?

If there's an i7 920 in the mix Micro Center has them right now for $200. The catch is that they're only selling them in store for that price. They're quite a bit more on-line.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom