1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Custom Prints?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FotoPhocus, Jul 7, 2008.

1. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    I want to get the below image printed. I would do it locally, but cropping to 8x10 or 11x14 really takes away from the image, so I want to do a custom print.

Zazzle will do a poster for me, 16x10.5 I think, for around $10. I plan on having them put a white border on it, and getting a black frame. Is that a common frame size?

What is my best option here? Original image size is about 3000x2000 pixels. What would YOU folks do?

[​IMG]

2. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Does your local shop do an 8x12? That would be the appropriate enlargement for your shot. You could also do a 12x18 if you wanted one size bigger without cropping at all. 16x10.5 will still crop a little horizontally.

MPix will print any of those sizes if you can't find a lab in town that can. Although I'd be surprised if a photo lab can't do it.

3. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Any print lab/shop should be able to do it. They can just print it uncropped on the next size up paper then cut to size. It might help if you open the image in Pshop or similar and up the canvas size to whatever the next size up print they do is. Then you can center the image to leave a little border for mounting.

4. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks for the tips. Never really printed any of my work for framing -- would you suggest 8x12, or going up to 12x18?

Is it easy to get those sizes framed and matted?

5. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Yes
    Stock frames are readily available, if not local, than on the Internet.

6. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Cool, thanks Lew. I'm looking forward to seeing it framed.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    12 x 18 will be a nice size print for this image, I would opt for this over the 8x12, try at least a 3" or wider matte, this will help offset the from the image and give space. I also recommend a black Neilson type frame,

Just a thought. nice final post processing work on this image.

8. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks Wade. Lew actually helped me out quite a bit on the post-processing. I'll give the 12x18 a shot, I can always get it printed smaller if I don't like it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.