Customer brackets

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by D. L. Miller, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Thinking of getting a Custom Bracket for my D2x. Does any one out there have one? How do you like it? I think they are made in Ohio.

Compared to others, it looks "top shelf". Are there any other suggestions for a very good camera bracket for a D2x.

I like the way the flash says still and the camera moves on the rotating axis.

2. Scott,

Since that is a "L" bracket, is the flash attached to the camera?

I think "L" brackets are only good on tripods, am I correct?

This Custom Bracket I am looking at has a place you mount the flash with a cord and that allows the flash to stay postioned above the camera at all times. I think the link is: www.custombrackets.com

www.custombrackets.com

It looks great but I was hoping to find someone who actually used it, to see if it was "for real" or just all show?

thanks for your reply

Dan

P.S. I see you too are from Michigan ...the Detroit area?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  3. Hi Dan,

Yes, the bracket I was talking about is for the tripod. I thought I saw a post awhile back about the bracket you are talking about. Hopefully the poster will see your post and answer you're questions.

4. rebrewer

rebrewer

Aug 1, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I think you are looking for something like the Really Right Stuff Flash Brackets with Orbiting Tilt Flash Head.

It allows the flash to stay stationary while rotating the body. Honestly, I can't see a use for this. I want my flash to stay oriented with my body if it's going to be that close, otherwise, I use it off camera.

I really don't like the design or materials of the Custom Brackets products, but that's just based on seeing a couple of them. Not nearly the quality design of RRS or Wimberley. Sloppy fit, not thought out well.

Anyone know why you'd want to do this? Should I be rotating my head? No, I mean...

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  5. I ordered and just received a Customer Bracket from B&H.

Looks great and so far it is everything I wanted. Time will tell how well it is made.

6. marc

marc Guest

i use a cb junior it is great and extremely well made

enjoy

7. Custom Bracket

I have had it for 3 weeks and so far it has worked out great. It is a little heavy (see my signature for model), but seems well made. It is steady as a rock. I do like the results with my SB800 and SC29 cord.

Dan

8. I was looking at the CB brackets, they look really
    well built and I was going to buy one but then a
    Stroboframe Pro T in excellent shape caught my
    eye on Ebay. It is very similar to the CB and also
    very well built. It does make a huge difference
    getting the flash off the camera.

Cheers,
    Robin

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Rotating your camera with the flash in the hotshoe can give you some pretty ugly shadows indoors, and can also make bouncing the flash more difficult. Additionally it increases the risk of red-eye because now instead of being 8-12 inches above the lens, the flash head is at the same height as the lens. Also certain flash accessories won't work as well unless the flash is upright, such as the Lumiquest ProMax 80/20.

10. Custom Bracket report

Update:

So far it has been great. Helps to produce great shots. I like it. Glad I have it. Wife still thinks it is too big for everyday "fun" shots, but the results are so good, I have to use it. Can be a little overhelming to some, but I'll pay that price to get the shot I want.

Dan

11. Unless someone needs to know more about it, this will be my last update about it. Thanks to all who e-mailed me their opinions etc.....

Dan

Next purchase might be a Epson P2000 or P4000.... Still thinking about it..
    any advise????