Customer vs Fountain Pen

One day, a week or two ago, a lady walked into my local pen store looking to purchase a pen and after viewing many options, selected a Pilot Vanishing Point and a box of cartidges. She returned an hour or so later, with he hands covered with ink, complaining that the hole in the top of the nib unit must be blocked (obviously being a manufacturing defect), and that she wanted a replacement. This was the nib unit she handed over...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G

GeoH

I'm lost too. Perhaps you should have educated her on the care and feeding of her new purchase.

I must be blonde also because I have no idea what's wrong with the pen in the photo. What should it look like? How about posting a shot of the correct configuration of the pen/nib/cartridge.

Having only a Phd in theoretical physics and a masters in computer science ... I am too stupid to get it. What's the problem? I've not ever seen a fancy pen before, much less used one. Did you offer to show her how to use the pen before she left? Could you give us a lesson on what is wrong and how to use a pen?

I remember the first ball point penj I saw. I did use, and still on occasion use fountain pens, but I guess I am not up to date enough to get the joke, other than the cartridge seems misplaced, but then I have not used a cartridge type fountain pen, in 50 years. They were great for ink fights, it always paid to wear a dark shirt. :smile:

I think the pen has a filling mechanism installed. It has to be removed before a cartridge can be used. She appears to have pushed the cartridge on the end of the filler.

Larry

I'm along the same lines as Larry, sounds to me like she couldn't quite figure out how to connect the "fill mechanism". Was she provided with an Ikea style instruction sheet?

I have used fountain pens for many years from Schaeffer's,Parker's and Mont Blanc's to much cheaper ones. I have used some which filled from a bottle with a small lever on the side,some which used a baloon type arrangement that you squeezed to fill from the bottle,some that used cartridges that slipped in the back with a screw follower that you screwed down to pierce the cartridge and some that just used a cartridge that screwed in. I have absolutely no idea what i am looking at in this picture except I DO see the nib of the pen. A little clarity WOULD be appreciated by most of us.

No idea what this is all about.
I'll ask my PA to investigate, she is the one who re-fills my MontBlanc.
If I had a Mont Blanc, at this time in life, I would trade it toward some glass.:biggrin: I only bring my fountain pen for "hard copies" to relatives and close friends.

That reminds me of this time where this guy called in a trouble ticket for his PRI service. See, it rides a special VoIP network to get out to his location. So he was trying to forward calls out of his avaya call manager but the session border controller was blocking it because he was not implementing Ie:74 redirect in the ISDN setup message sequence.

I mean WOW! That guy was a total idiot!

;)

but yeah i have no idea how that pen works.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom