Customer vs Fountain Pen

Really? Fountain pens not technical pens? Or are they the same?
I went to school to be an Industrial Arts Teacher, Shop Teacher.
We used technical pens to ink mechanical drawings. This is similar to using a mechanical pencil on velum but with a ink.

We used Fountain pens to reproduce traditional Greek lettering by hand.

She rammed an ink container (who ever sold her that, when she has a refillable pen!) reversely onto the screw-in type filler. All she needed to do was dip the nib in the ink and screw the filler full. I'm 28 and I know that.

You'd have to be an idiot to sell a Mont Blanc for glass.

OK, OK.

A Pilot Vanishing Point is very similar to a click-top ballpoint pen. Click the top button and the point of the nib appear from withing the body; click it again and nib disappears back inside. Think Parker T-Ball Jotter from the 60's.

Pilot were the first to implement this behaviour with a fountain pen. Owners have a choice - use an ink cartridge or use a piston-like converter to use bottled ink - but not both at the same time. Instructions included within the box of this pen clearly state how to use the cartridge OR the converter.

This is the pen

http://www.namiki.com/collections/pilotVanishingPoint_RA.php

and here are the instructions

http://www.namiki.com/aboutNamiki/penCare.php

Apologies to all who have no knowledge of archaic writing tools. Whats an iPad - some new-fangled frisbee?

I went to school to be an Industrial Arts Teacher, Shop Teacher.
We used technical pens to ink mechanical drawings. This is similar to using a mechanical pencil on velum but with a ink.

We used Fountain pens to reproduce traditional Greek lettering by hand.
Oh, ok. I know of technical pens from my stint in Engineering Graphics... but I never learned about fountain pens.

Wow! That was fun. I like the owl and the rabbit in moonlight pens. Now to start putting a bit of spare change back in the old cookie jar. I bet your store is a wonderfull place to visit.

sambru

In Memoriam 1957-2014
I use a BIC. Had many Cross & other fancy pens lost all of them. So now a BIC works great have a box of them so when clients walk off with one no problem.

Really? Fountain pens not technical pens? Or are they the same?
Not the same. A technical pen uses a hollow tube and has to be held nearly perpendicular to the paper.

A fountain pen has a nib and needs to be held at an angle.

They both use capillary action to draw ink from their reservoir.

I use a BIC. Had many Cross & other fancy pens lost all of them. So now a BIC works great have a box of them so when clients walk off with one no problem.
My thoughts exactly. Baron Bic made a fortune with these disposale roller pens, they work, they are easy to use. I love the 4 colour one.
And as you wrote, you do not have to worry about losing one.

OK, OK.

A Pilot Vanishing Point is very similar to a click-top ballpoint pen. Click the top button and the point of the nib appear from withing the body; click it again and nib disappears back inside. Think Parker T-Ball Jotter from the 60's.

Pilot were the first to implement this behaviour with a fountain pen. Owners have a choice - use an ink cartridge or use a piston-like converter to use bottled ink - but not both at the same time. Instructions included within the box of this pen clearly state how to use the cartridge OR the converter.

This is the pen

http://www.namiki.com/collections/pilotVanishingPoint_RA.php

and here are the instructions

http://www.namiki.com/aboutNamiki/penCare.php

Apologies to all who have no knowledge of archaic writing tools. Whats an iPad - some new-fangled frisbee?

Thanks for this, it all makes sense now.

I have to say, and it is no criticism of those who do not know of such fountain pens, that the fact so few use or even know of these writing instruments nowadays is sad for me. Writing with a good ink/fountain pen, IMHO, makes writing a pleasure.

I use an inkpen every day when writing, it slows my writing down and whilst it is no prettier, my writing is more legible that is for sure!

I grew up using various Parker's. School insisted on it--and English Public School, and it had to be Royal blue ink--matched the color of the school blazer. My department head a few years ago was a fountain pen aficionado--the young student's looked on in amazement when he filed a pen and wrote with one--and use the rocking blotter!

How about a pic of your Mont Blanc, in my younger days, I lusted after fine pens, and that would get Nick's thread back on track.
I would love to. Unfortunately (or not), I am on one month's leave abroad in a sunny place and have left my Mont Blanc behind.

That said it is a worthless piece of writing.

http://www.montblanc.com.es/products/black_resin_gold_estilogr_fica_149.10575.php

Most of the ink leaks all the time, I had it serviced regularly to no avail.
If you fly with it the pressure will definitely make it leak all its ink.

I even found online a while ago a club named the "dirty hands" which was made of users who had the same issue.

My best fountain pens were the basic Waterman from the 1980s (at the time it was a French owned company). But I cannot find any archive on it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom