Customer vs Fountain Pen

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Yesterday afternoon this thread was closed due to the posting of comments that was deemed to be inappropriate. After further discussion, the Moderators of this forum made the decision to edit out those comments and reopen the thread.

It is very rare that a thread, once closed, is ever reopened. This is a request to please keep all postings civil and respectful, whether it be in this thread or any other.

Thank you.

Yesterday afternoon this thread was closed due to the posting of comments that was deemed to be inappropriate. After further discussion, the Moderators of this forum made the decision to edit out those comments and reopen the thread.

It is very rare that a thread, once closed, is ever reopened. This is a request to please keep all postings civil and respectful, whether it be in this thread or any other.

Thank you.
I think the story of how a thread about pens lead to inappropriate comments is bound to be more interesting than a thread about pens. Sorry to be off topic but I had to address the elephant in the room.

I prefer the flow of an ink pen. My nature is to write too fast with a ball-point pen. I only found one or two in my life which matched my hand. Being left-handed one pushes the nibb across the paper usually causing too much friction. As a boy I can recall the uniqueness of the ball point pen as it became more and more popular. The ink pen manufacturers tried all sorts of mechanisms for loading and storing ink but their days were numbered...especially in the days of multi-part carbon copy forms. I can recall some government purchase documents with 10 pieces of paper. When they said "press firmly" they meant it!

Another reason for its remaining out of favor is the loss of cursive writing skills in the general population. Who spends the time to craft a well-written letter when you can text? :rolleyes:

I gave our daughter-in-law a Mont Blanc fountain pen when she received her CPA. She treasures it.

Rich

Rich, I agree with you about using a ball point, but for different reasons. I am right-handed, but tend to write fairly small. All through school, I wrote with a Parker fine tip - that being the only one that felt good in my hand plus had a tip that wouldn't clog up. In recent years, I've finely been able to write with a medium tip.

Do they still tech cursive in schools anymore? The only way I was able to write larger was to use a fountain pen (Scheaffer with a cartridge). Of course writing slower left lots of time to think about adding flourishes to my writing!

I've often thought about getting another fountain pen - does anyone have any suggestions?

Rich--the loss of cursive and hand written notes is indeed a sad commentary! As far as being a lefty, some manufacturers used to offer left handed nibs for their fountain pens. While I lust for a good fountain pen, my scrawl (and that is being generous) is much more suited to a fine "felt-tip" or roller ball instrument.

Hey Lyndee!
I haven't been on the Cafe lately because of work so I guess I missed another drama :biggrin: so did people argue over a pen this time? :tongue:

Anyways, I'm glad I only use a pencil. It never needs refilling!

Hey Lyndee!
I haven't been on the Cafe lately because of work so I guess I missed another drama :biggrin: so did people argue over a pen this time? :tongue:

Anyways, I'm glad I only use a pencil. It never needs refilling!
The original thread was Blond Vs Fountain pen.:rolleyes:

There of course was more, but I can't comment on that, except to say it was funny to the 99%

Funny to read some of the younger members that don't know what a fountain pen is, probably don't know what a cloth nappy is either.:biggrin:

We still use cloth nappies for our baby boys, but just not as nappies :) They are easy to wash and dry very fast, so we use them as towels and protection for the diaper changing pillow (or whatever you call them in English).

As to the fountain pens. As said before, I'm only 28 but I learnt to write with a Bruynzeel (for the dutchies) fountain pen when I was 10 or so. I teach 10-year-olds now and wish we still had fountain pens. Rollerballs don't slow writing down enough, so writing comes out more sloppy. Since the introduction of electric schoolboards this year, my writing has also gone very sloppy... Those things are slippery!

I always have a fountain pen of some sort with me. I own two Parker Sonnets. Two, because I dropped the first one on it's nib :( It now writes around corners. Sonnets write lovely when they work, but dry out too fast. I like my Watermans better for that, but they don't feel as good in hand.

Now you tell me!!!!!:frown:

Rich
OK, that explains a lot. I tried one in my youth, thought it was the most useless thing I could write with and didn't understand how others got them to work (I'm a south paw). Of course, I hated writing anyway as the side of my hand always became a mess.... :rolleyes:

OK, that explains a lot. I tried one in my youth, thought it was the most useless thing I could write with and didn't understand how others got them to work (I'm a south paw). Of course, I hated writing anyway as the side of my hand always became a mess.... :rolleyes:
Yes, you get that when you drag the edge of your hand over what you just wrote. :redface: I have to admit though that I enjoy looking at nicely written cursive handwriting. As a boy in grammar school all the girls' handwriting was so neat and the boys' sloppy and awkward.

Rich

Rich and Douglas----I'm married to a lefty--I share your "frustration."
Unless you are left handed, you probably dont even know the half of it.... Some things are impossible to find left handed versions of, ever see a left handed baseball bat? :biggrin::wink:

Unless you are left handed, you probably dont even know the half of it.... Some things are impossible to find left handed versions of, ever see a left handed baseball bat? :biggrin::wink:
..left handed scissors? (and NOT the crappy 'Left Hand Store' kind either.

Rich

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom