Customer vs Fountain Pen

Unless you are left handed, you probably dont even know the half of it.... Some things are impossible to find left handed versions of, ever see a left handed baseball bat? :biggrin::wink:

I'm left eyed--so I am sympathetic.
Bought my wife some left handed scissors-she hated them! Got her a left handed cup, she hated it. Took her to England, she couldn't drive on the left side! etc., etc., etc., Despite all of that I love her!!!! Yes, it IS a right handed world.:cool:

I used to love fountain pens! I never bought good ones however. I tell you one thing. If the cap is not on right a cotton shirt can wick out the contents in a heartbeat! If I remember correctly Schaeffer may have been the name.

I was originally born right handed but was taught to use my left hand as my disability is worse down my right side. Its very difficult to find things designed for lefties. Mice (as in computer peripherals can be a pain to use when they are moulded also. Interestingly enough the latin word for left is Sinistra which is the root word for sinister.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Nick, I had to look twice to be certain, but when I saw your picture after reading the story, I almost blew my coffee over the monitor.

It helps of course, that I used to sold these kind of fountain pens!

In grade school we had inkwells in the front center of the desk. Then you dip the "straight pen" in and write until the ink ran out. No kidding, no BS. Late 1950`s

Then we were allowed fountain pens and you filled them with a lever on the side that created vacumn on the bladder so it sucked in ink. Ball points were not allowed because you had to hold it too vertical and could not write properly. High school teachers did not give a damn about what kind of pen you used.

The kids with more money had pens with replaceable bladders prefilled.

Then I had a had me down Underwood for college.

Then electric typewriters, but never had one.

Now I have a computer with "Microsoft Word for Mac" and "Pages" and Adobe" In design." The grandaughter works at home and runs the papers back to the school with a flash drive.

Who wants to bring back the funny ink pens that stain your pocket? Got to be crazy!

Now you know why the USA is the country of innovation and capitalism and you can write with a quill pen if you darn well please. Pretty good progress for 60 years.

Real Name
Bill
I know this is an old thread brought back to life by someone looking to sell pens. However full disclosure. Before I semi-retired and moved to the wild west I was the head of refill engineering and fountain pen development for the A.T. Cross company in Lincoln R.I.. Cross moved all of its manufacturing to China in the 2012 timeframe which left me looking for another job.

There's way more engineering than you can imagine in putting ink to paper.

Real Name
Bill
Actually, I can imagine a huge amount of engineering that's required. That's because I can remember the days of unwanted ink spilling out of the pen onto the paper.

Worst case was always a half filled cartridge on an airplane. The volume of the expansion slots on the feed were barely more the volume of the remaining ink. We had an altitude chamber to test performance.

Latest threads

Top Bottom