Customize lens using software??

when I have free time I just search craiglist to drool over lenses. Not that I have any money to buy these without getting a divorce from my wife. or the skill to use them properly but still...

I came across this ad here https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pho/d/tacoma-sigma135mm-18-art-for-nikon/7171149905.html

It says something funny

"As part of the Art segment of Sigma's Global Vision line, it can be customized and updated if you have the Sigma Dock and Optimization Pro software."

What does this mean? how can a software customize lens? is this some marketing gimmick or something real about software customized lenses?

Real Name
Andrew
It seems that the craigslist author has poorly worded their article. The dock allows for the ability to do firmware updates and focus adjustments to correct for front/back focus of compatible lenses.

a lot of modern lenses now carry a bit of software in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guessed the firmware update piece. I wasn't sure what is other customization like focus adjustment via software.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I guessed the firmware update piece. I wasn't sure what is other customization like focus adjustment via software.
Many cameras have offered focus fine tuning via s/w in the camera for some time. Nikon calls it Auto Focus Fine Tuning (AFFT) and other manufacturers use different names. Almost all lenses on DSLRs need to be adjusted to "dial in" focus. Manufacturing tolerances of both lenses and cameras necessitate this. I have always fine tuned focus for my long lenses (300mm and longer) and it has indeed made an improvement. With mirrorless bodies, I understand that focus fine tuning is not needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. this fully answers my question.

Many cameras have offered focus fine tuning via s/w in the camera for some time. Nikon calls it Auto Focus Fine Tuning (AFFT) and other manufacturers use different names. Almost all lenses on DSLRs need to be adjusted to "dial in" focus. Manufacturing tolerances of both lenses and cameras necessitate this. I have always fine tuned focus for my long lenses (300mm and longer) and it has indeed made an improvement. With mirrorless bodies, I understand that focus fine tuning is not needed.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom