Cut Away Photo

Did a photo shoot of a friends 1940 Ford Delux convertible and finally remembered to take the images so that I could do a cut away in Photoshop. It was a lot of fun to work on and pretty easy to do.

1940%20Ford%20w%20LS%20Engine-%20web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1940 Ford Delux Convertible

It would have been a bit better if I had had a small stool with me to stand on so I could get a higher angle on the engine compartment. As it was i could barely see thru the view finder standing on my tip toes and I am 6'1" :biggrin:

I am diggin your processing -- I just don't like the idea of a modern Corvette motor in a super cool 40 Ford -- but I would love to have it -- ha

Thank you all for the great comments! They are much appreciated.

Art, I hear you, the ubiquitous small block Chevy engine shows up in the majority of all of the hotrods and custom cars that I photograph to the point that it becomes ho hum to photograph them. I guarantee that you would love to own this Ford. Classic styling and drives and handles like a C06 Corvette, and can get up to 30 mpg on a road trip.:biggrin:

Nice Conrad

really like the effect of this.....never tried it but what you have done looks great

Best wishes

Ray

How did you do this Conrad?
Did you use a tri-pod -- take two shots (one with hood down -- the other with the hood open and motor exposed) then use masking in PS to create the effect ?

Or did you do something else completely ?
Would be curious to know as I shoot a lot of cars and would like to give it a try myself

Well done

Art,

Yes I used a tripod and photographed the engine compartment with the hood up then down. This was a spur of the moment idea brought on by the contrast of the bright red Corvette engine cover and the wonderful black paint job. I applied the same processing in NX2 to both photos then transfered both to photoshop where I placed the hood open photo above the hood closed and applied a hide all layer mask. Used a very soft brush at 15 - 20% on the layer mask to expose the engine and radiator. I then grouped both photos in a folder and used the pen tool to create a path around the car and windows to use as a mask on the folder to drop out the background. Final bits were to use a hue/saturation adjustment layer to remove the blues and greens from the reflections in the paint to further highlight the red of the engine cover.

I wish I had had one of my reflectors to get more light into the engine compartment and also a step stool so that I could get a higher perspective on the engine. There is only so much room to carry stuff in my '39 Ford. I can either haul all my photography gear along and leave my wife home, or bring the wife and cut back on the gear. When in doubt, I always choose the wife!:biggrin:

Another interesting play with this idea would be to photograph the interior with the door open and closed to highlight a car with an exceptionally well done interior. Give it a try on your '56!

1940 Ford composite ...

The cut away photo that is the subject of this thread was actually an after thought that popped into my mind when I was finishing up the shoot. The reason I was photographing the car in the first place was to collect the images of the car to do this composite;

Selvidge%20'40%20Ford%20Convertible%20Web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1940 Delux Convertible​

Since most of my work like this is done on commission I seldom post my composites. The gentleman that built and owns this car is a good friend of mine and I did this as a gift for him. It was printed 24x36 and he has it hanging in his shop.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom