1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cute chicks and a really BRIGHT Prothonotary.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sjlarue, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I went to Hoover Reservoir today with my daughter and a fellow birder who was one of the volunteer naturalists there. I won't say his name, but I will say that I don't think that the Prothonotary Warbler population would be as great in the area without him. The day was was challenging to say the least. Not only were the subjects less than pleased to be the center of attention, but I was dealing with my new camera.

The ABSOLUTE highlight was the baby Sharp Shinned Hawks.

Here are the best of the shots. In order of spotting.

First a very shy Baby Green Heron:
    BabyGreenHeronlr.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 400

BabyGreenheron2lr.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/60s    ISO 400

This guy was absolutely IMPOSIBLE...as soon as I got close enough to see it, down the branch it went. I'm going back alone in the next couple of days to try and get some better shots.

Then the cute little baby Hawks:
    BabyHawklr.
    NIKON D300    ---    500mm    f/6.3    1/100s    ISO 500

BabyHawk2lr.
    NIKON D300    ---    500mm    f/10.0    1/13s    ISO 400

BabyHawk3lr.
    NIKON D300    ---    500mm    f/10.0    1/15s    ISO 400

I might go here again if I have the time, Once I figured out that I had to get lower, I was able to find more opportunities.

And finally a Prothonotary Warbler:
    ProthonotaryWarbler1lr.
    NIKON D300    ---    500mm    f/6.3    1/800s    ISO 200

ProthonotaryWarbler2lr.
    NIKON D300    ---    500mm    f/6.3    1/800s    ISO 200

I had a great time today and learned an awful lot about some calls and the habitat of Prothonotarys, and my daughter finally learned how to Pish....well....she's closer anyways :D .

All in all it was a great day.

Enjoy and sorry for the quality in some, like I said, I'm still trying to figure the D300 animal out.

And as always CC welcome.

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I be happy to have baby chick shot #4 & 5 in my collection.

I'd also be happy to have a nice day in the field like you and your daughter did :wink::cool: :biggrin:

3. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Ben. She is actually better at "pishing" now than I am. We spent the day looking at flycatchers yesterday getting ready for the annual neon winged hummingbird migration:https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=176851 :biggrin:

We had one that would come out and allow me to take pictures but only if she pished it..not me.:biggrin:

thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Looks like you had a great time! And taking your daughter with you - just can't beat that! my Dad used to take me with him alot. That's time spent your daughter will never forget! Beautiful photos, btw!

5. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Dianne.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.