Cute Little Rodent, Isn't He?

This adorable young male Eastern Gray Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) is a daily visitor to our deck fence where I lay out bird seed (in hopes that the birds will get some of it before the squirrels scarf it all up) every morning. He is actually getting quite tame. He only moves about 6 feet away from me (while the rest scurry for cover) while I replenish the seed supply. Perhaps one day he will get used to me enough to let me hand feed him.

Nikon D500, 600mm f/4 ED IF AIS Nikkor

STM_0003.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken
Nice shot. We put out food as well, but I am not sure if we are feeding the squirrels and the birds also get to eat, or if we are feeding the birds and the squirrels also get to eat. In either event, the squirrels are almost always there to "Hoover" up what is left.

--Ken

Adorable shot! Every so often you find one who becomes your "friend!"

A couple of times I have been fortunate enough to have been befriended by one who became tame enough to take food right from my hand. They love peanuts still in the shell!

Around here we also have Southern Fox Squirrels which are very unique in their markings but they remain very skittish compared to their Gray Squirrel cousins. It is difficult, even with a long lens, to get close enough to photograph them. This is one of very few images I have of one. I guess I just got lucky this time.

Southern Fox Squirrel.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom