Cute Lobster Hunter

This South African girl is a scuba diving instructor. She speared the lobster on a breath holding or free dive with a simple spear. A simple spear is a sharp stick with a big rubber band on one end. I got to eat part of this lobster a few nights ago. The image is not tack sharp because the boat was rocking.

Huge lobster! Must be close to 6 or 7 pounds? What I notice is that there are no claws like the New England species. The tail is full of meat though, as you well know!

Thank you raygun. Probably more like 3.5 lbs. This is a spiny lobster. It is a warm water species that lacks claws. Only cold water lobsters have claws. There is a difference in how they taste, with the cold water lobsters being more sought after. Whenever one orders steak and lobster and receives only a lobster tail, that is a warm water lobster tail.

Remember, she killed this thing the hard way.

Great Pic and nice lobster. The hard way to kill it, would be to grab it with your
hands and avoid all the spines along the sides of tail ... been there .. done that ... it hurts .. :eek:

Paul, that would be hard, but only if it was on a breath hold dive. I did a night dive with this dive instructor from Belize. He grabbed a big lobster that way. We did not have a bag, and were not supposed to be hunting anyway. It wiggled away and went about 15 feet on a single kick of it's tail.

Your shot reminds me of one I took of my wife more than a couple of years ago:
Dbonaire.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom