Cycle Racing

Downers Grove, Illinois is the site of the National Criterium Championships of Cycling, so I thought I'd give shooting it a try. These athletes are in serious shape and they pedal these bikes without much coasting. Here's a few snaps using my D2H and a Nikkor 80-400mm VR...

47960472.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 14126
View attachment 14127
View attachment 14128

I have never shot cycling before, so if you can offer some pointers, I'm all ears. Thanks for checking these out.

Very good Frank..

So glad to see that 80-400 VR VR VR doing such a good job in your hands :>)))

It gets such a blasting at times. I really think, for sure, it is who is using it :>))

Good job

thanks

PS could you give me a bit of EXIF on those images for my little notes :>))))))

D

dbirdsong

The one thing I noticed when I have shot bicycle racing is that the pictures look a lot better with some blur in the picture to show the speed they are going. But then the hard part is locking in sharp on the man subject.
But all in all I think you have some pretty cool photos there Frank.

Here's the particulars, Gale.

Image #1 1/4000 sec
f/3.2
ISO 400
Auto WB
Aperture Priority

Image #2 Same as above

Image #3 1/8000 sec.
f/3.2
ISO 400
Auto WB
Aperture Priority

Image #4 1/2000 sec
f/5
ISO 400
Auto WB
Aperture Priority

Thanks for your interest.

Hi Dave,

I did try to shoot at a slower shutter speed to do just that, but I really didn't have much success panning these pedaling maniacs! I will have to go back and look at the images again...do a little processing to see if I can make something look good. As I mentioned, I have never shot cycling before...I got beat today, better luck for me next time. :(

D

dbirdsong

eng45ine said:
Hi Dave,

I did try to shoot at a slower shutter speed to do just that, but I really didn't have much success panning these pedaling maniacs! I will have to go back and look at the images again...do a little processing to see if I can make something look good. As I mentioned, I have never shot cycling before...I got beat today, better luck for me next time. :(

Not a problem Frank.. It isn't something that is easy to do and for your first time out, great job.
I learned the hard way about 23 years ago, I took about 15 rolls of 36 slide film at the Detroit Grand Prix using fast shutter speeds. The pictures were good but nothing really stood out, then the next year just before the race I read an article in the Detroit Freep Press by Tony Spina ( http://hof.jrn.msu.edu/bios/spina.html ) about using slow shutter speeds to capture the speed of the racers. His pictures were the best I had ever seen, so I tried shooting at 1/125 instead of 1/1000 and what a differences. The pictures jumped off the slide screen.
Sure there weren't as many keepers, but the keepers were better.
So the next time out give it a try.. Heck Sunday at the Air Show maybe give it a try with some of the planes.

Terrific series, Frank! Panning is an art I haven't conquered either, but the narrow DOF you used accomplishes much the same thing. The subjects pop nicely :).

Thanks very much, Frank. Others might think that panning just involves twisting your body to maintain focus on a target that is moving from one direction to another...but it is much more difficult. When I was panning these riders, it all looked great through the viewfinder but was far less pleasing to the eye after it was downloaded and reviewed on the monitor. I am looking forward to trying something larger like cars next time to gain valuable experience.

Frank, for your first time I think you did fantastic! To me they look like you've been doing this for years! Love the last one. Your shot could be useful in determining who came in 2nd! :)

Frank I really like number 1 and 3. I tried shooting
bikes once and walked away very unhappy with my
shots.

I'm starting to think you have a knack for shooting
the fast moving stuff (bikes-planes)

Thanks Todd, Kevin, Ralph and Mike,

This bike racing stuff is so different for me...it is so fast and so difficult to focus on one rider if they are in a pack. I have no idea how the pros shoot a certain rider for their work.....zoooom and they're gone. I will definately try again sometime...the more I shoot, the more I learn and the more I enjoy. I appreciate that you all took a look and commented.

Hi Frank,

Nice work man! Really, very nice expressions on those faces and some very good timing. The other thing I really like is that you have made those shots from a nice angle, those pictures are not "flat" if you understand what I mean. It is always nice to shoot from a slight angle, it brings great depth in your pictures. You did a good job out there.
Congrats !!!

Keep it up

Kind Regards

Johan

B

Brew

Great shots Frank!!! I used to do a little racing until I got old but still love to watch the local races when they come around.. Missed them this year because we were in DC for a family vacation.

Latest threads

Top Bottom