1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cycling - First Post

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by schuds, Jul 28, 2008.

1. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Here are my first attempts at shooting cycling. I happened to be on the eastside of Milwaukee during the The Great Downer Bike Race, part of the Superweek Pro Tour. The shadows were a bit tricky so I had to spot meter for the sunshine. All shot with D300 and 70-200VR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't too thrilled about how I framed this, but I still like the results.
    [​IMG]

2. joe
    i think that you did a great job here
    a very nice series

thanks for sharing these with us

3. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks alot. With something like this that I'm not real familiar with I use the shotgun approach; a few are bound to work. After reviewing the content of my card I figured out that it took me about 500 images to get to the point where I was shooting about 20% keepers. I'd be broke if I were shooting film. :eek: 

4. Brew

Brew Guest

These look very good and I have that same combo. I was going to shoot the Carl Zack classic in Waukesha but me and my friend had a music gig that night:mad: 

5. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Too bad SuperWeek is over. I forgot totally about it this year. I would've really liked to shoot the races in Whitnall Park. There are alot of opportunities to have uncluttered and attractive backgrounds. The course in Whitnall goes through the botanical gardens. Another big plus is that many of the races take place in the evening. It's usually pretty sweet light. I'm definitely putting a few events on my calendar next year.

6. Gnarl

Gnarl

Jun 25, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Nice work! I like the symmetry of the riders in the second shot.

7. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    You Did Excellent! Now We Have To Fly You Out To Spain To Shoot Carlos Sastre!

8. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    George...

Thanks for the comment. The angle of the riders gives a sense of motion. I found that with many of my "straight up" shots at high shutter speed you don't get any sense of action. The images are sterile and boring. I think when I have another opportunity to shoot cycling I'm going to work with slower speeds and find an angle where panning better portrays the speed at which these guys are moving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.