1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cycling lights example

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by biggstr6, Sep 1, 2008.

1. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I went down to the Richmond convention center saturday to try shooting some volleyball and I thought these shots demonstrate the havoc stadium lights reak on us photographers who dont have stobes.

First two shots of the venue , notice the difference in white balance.

vbcourt.
    NIKON D3    ---    17mm    f/4.0    1/125s    ISO 1100

unevenlight.
    NIKON D2H    ---    24mm    f/2.8    1/160s    ISO 800

and it doesnt matter to set a whitebalance because as the lights cycle it will change . These two shoots were like a second apart.

vbserve.
    NIKON D3    ---    200mm    f/4.0    1/500s    ISO 2200

vbserve2.
    NIKON D3    ---    200mm    f/4.0    1/500s    ISO 2200

I guess most here already know this , but I thought it may be helpful for some newer shooters. Its frustrating & time consuming to fix ,and I guess thats a good reason to use strobes if have them and if youre allowed.

2. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    Would shutter speeds have had an effect?

3. Karl, shutter speeds would affect, but the only way to not have the cycling effect is to be shooting under 1/60th as that is normally what AC cycles at.

4. thanks Biggs...strobes sure make a diff (but my budget prevents 'em, :smile:) 

5. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    ^^ Yea I was thinking shoot under 1/60th but then one might need more to freeze the action. I don't shoot sports but it's just what I figured from shooting with flourescent lamps (colour gets messy/tricky beyond 1/60th :(  )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.