Cycling question

I am going to shoot a charity event this weekend for the MS Society as a volunteer, the photographer they booked had a paying gig and had to drop out at the last minute.

I shoot birds, Use a 200-400 Nikon mounted on the D4. The only other lens I have will be the 14-24 mounted on the D300s. Or maybe I will switch that around to take advantage of the FX and DX with those two lenses.

I think I can handle this as far as the fast moving shots with the 200-400 but will be missing a critical focal length under 200mm. Will probably keep the 200-400 on the D4 just for that reason.

Has anyone ever done any panning with the 14-24 with success? My plan is to get the long shots as they approach then wide angle close ups as they pass and hopefully do some panning as they go by.

Would love to have my old 70-200VR right now but no longer have it.

Anyone shoot a lot of cycling have any advice for what I have to work with?

It is a 200km run with 80 riders. I am expected to get shots of them all. I will be leapfrogging ahead of them along the route.

I typically use spot focus and metering for birds, what settings would be best for cycling? Maybe 21 focus points? Metering? Matrix?

Thanks in advance.

If it were me and I knew that I had to get at least one shot of everyone in attendance, I would use the 200-400 and get some of the riders from a longer distance and then as others in the pack get closer, you can zoom in to 200mm and get the rest. I think with the 14-24, you are going to have to wait until they are right on top of you before you can take the shot. Sure, you can shoot earlier with a 14-24 but your subjects are going to be farther away and you won't get as good of a shot.

I do a fair amount of cycling photography.
On a crop sensor the 16-85 is my favorite.
I find the 14-24 too wide.
If you have any type of access at all, I think you will find the 200-400 too long.
I am just guessing as I have never used my 200-400 for cycling, because at least for my shooting I never needed the length.
It is a fun sport to shoot, hard to shoot well. Backgrounds are ofter killers.
Enjoy it, let us see what you come up with. I would love to see what the 2-4 lets you do.
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's just say I got lots of closeups! lol
Not the best lens for this task...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well done
How did the 14-24 work out?
I never think or see wide, but might be interesting
Gary
I only tried the 14-24 a few times, No time when there is so many participants going by and trying to get a usable shot of them all.

It was too wide on the D4 unless I was right on top of the riders. I gave up on it and just stuck to the 200-400. I got back a bit today and was able to get some decent images. Don't think I will volunteer for this again :)

First image was with the 14-24...I am not that far away but they still look small. The sun was directly across the lake or I would have shot towards the water, bad timing.

The 200-400 was great for closeup work though I must admit

Attachments

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom