Critique Cycling to the foot of the hill in Pindaya

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by the_traveler, Mar 20, 2017.

1. I like this one a lot.It is sharply focused on the main subjects and they are nicely positioned in the frame. It shows a nice slice of local life. The exposure and processing are spot on.

I do find the limb on the upper left a bit distracting and I might try cropping it out.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I like that you also included the tree as a part of the environment. lots for the eye to wander around and see, visually you look everywhere, great depth with the distant person walking, I like not seeing faces on the travelers.

Strongly suggest cropping foreground limb in upper left out!

3. Thank you, Jim and Wade, for looking and taking the time to comment.
    How would you crop this - taking into account my obsessive attachment to standard aspect ratios or really close?

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    image.

Same ratio, just pulled down left corner.

5. How about this, keeping a bit so as to preserve as much of the rest as possible?

cycling_2_0791418-Edit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great minds think alike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FYI this was in a relatively non-tourist town, named Pindaya, in central Myanmar that is more than a bit off the beaten track but has a cave just full of Buddhas. It is visited mostly by Burmese tourists on religious pilgrimages.

That Banyan tree is in a grove that is actually one huge tree that has sent down sprouts from limbs that become trunks.

banyan__0791419-Edit.

There was one hotel, overbuilt in the hope of more tourists, and our group were the only clients.
    Most of the town was gritty rural Myanmar.

walking-in-Pindaya.

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    A completely different feel and moody tone with the BW conversion.

9. I love to travel and love Southeast Asia.
    I have been there about 8 times and hope to go back when I'm not house-bound.

There is nothing like the feeling of being in a small town, sitting in a bar, watching the town go by and no one withing 12000 miles knows your name except the people you're with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lots to like-the 2 cyclists, both in green, bring unity. The distant walker in blue, and the curving road, bring mystery. The Banyan tree brings framing and tension from it's diagonals, but adds so much local environment. The little shrine is also mysterious. The late evening light is warm and the shadows bring a sense of quiet.
    Your crop works for me better than the others do.
    The B&W picture is equally intriguing, but it is tense and far less inviting a place to me.
    By the way, I love so called negative space!

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Excellent point!

12. And it makes one wonder: what are they talking about? Are they talking? The green skirts/sarongs look like uniforms, and suggests they are headed home from school perhaps.

13. The back streets in these towns are much less inviting at first.
    Paint is a tertiary consideration; this is a really hand to mouth existence.
    People wear lots of worn out colorless clothes but, if you make an overture, they are incredibly friendly and pleasant.
    I always bring a collage of my grandchildren and that gets passed around because a Western child is a rare sight in rural Myanmar.
    For anyone with a bit of interest in adventure and at least 3 weeks, Southeast Asia is a great trip.

14. In several areas, we came across school 'uniforms'. The sarong like things are called longyi and different ethnic groups/genders wear different patterns. Like the headgear, Burmese can tell one's tribe from the pattern.
    There is a great deal of tribal identity by region. If you ask a person from one of the Shan states if they are Burmese, they will generally reply no, that they are Shan.

My photographer friend in Mawlamyaing in the Mon state considers himself a Mon person.

15. I like the original tree, it shows they do not rip out everything in the way of construction and respect nature.

Cheers

16. I really like the last image. Now that really shows a slice of local life.
    Well done black and white. It has the feel of a photo taken with a Nikon F and Tri-X.

Samuel

17. Thank you, Samuel.
    Exactly the impression I had hoped for.

On this image I denoised several times to unsharpen the image a bit.

18. I was born and raised in India, and went to college in the eastern state of Assam, and I'm (or was) very familiar with what are known in India as lungi. I did enter Burma, once, illegally, so let's not talk about that! Similar cultures and lifestyles and outlook on life.
    Cheers.