Cyclocross racing - fun in the sandbox

Now that my pro road cycling work is done for the season, I turn to the local cyclocross races for a bit of fun. For those of you not familiar with the sport, it's bicycle racing done on modified road bikes with courses featuring a mix of grass, dirt and occasional pavement. Racers compete on a closed loop course racing anywhere from 40-90 minutes long. There are sections where the racers need to dismount to climb short hills, stairs or other barriers. Sand trap sections always make for some exciting spills! The stronghold of cyclocross comes from Belgium, but has exploded in popularity in the USA. Locally, it's a fun, festive affair where the whole family comes out to race. Mom & Dave compete in the adult categories and the kids ride in the junior and "kiddie cross" divisions.

This weekend's race had an extensive U-shaped sand trap section which proved almost impossible to ride without dismounting and running with the bike. As you can see from the photos, the racers had fun in the sandbox.

#1 The "senior" men are off at the start
UTCX%2011.5.16-5-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 A trio runs the sandbox in perfect formation
UTCX%2011.5.16-10-XL.jpg

#3 Yippee-i-o-ki-ay - ride 'em cowboy!
UTCX%2011.5.16-36-XL.jpg

#4 Double trouble
UTCX%2011.5.16-39-XL.jpg

#5 And he's down
UTCX%2011.5.16-47-XL.jpg

#6 Ready to dismount
UTCX%2011.5.16-78-XL.jpg

#7 A trio turns the corner in the sandbox
UTCX%2011.5.16-80-XL.jpg

#8 It's all a blur
UTCX%2011.5.16-116-XL.jpg

#9 Marching orders
UTCX%2011.5.16-141-XL.jpg

#10 Not everything was in the sandbox
UTCX%2011.5.16-190-XL.jpg

#11 Sand in the Gears - B&W
UTCX%2011.5.16-128-XL.jpg

I can't seem to find an "edit thread" button. Spelling error - "Mom & Dave ----> "Mom & Dad" I haven't raced a bike in 40 yrs, so it's definitely not mom and DAVE.

Dave, good variety of pictures. Cyclocross is a fun event to cover. Some of the courses go up hills and mud pits and there are lots of interesting photo opportunities. I have been shooting a few events this season and I truly enjoy covering them.

Sand pit is tough. Sometimes it is ridable and other times it is not. It's up to the race organizers to decide if they want to pack down some of the sand ahead of the races. I often joke to the racers that I love seeing them fall so that I can take better action pictures :D

BTW, the edit button only shows up in the first 10 minutes after you post.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful set! Love #8!!!!! All are very well done!

Nice series Dave!
Thx, Bill

Sand pit is tough. Sometimes it is ridable and other times it is not. It's up to the race organizers to decide if they want to pack down some of the sand ahead of the races. I often joke to the racers that I love seeing them fall so that I can take better action pictures :D
Only 1 or 2 people were able to ride the entire sandbox since it was U shaped and most stalled out on the 1st turn.

These are great. Not something I've seen and quite interesting!
thx, Mitch. Cross is unique. Watching the big events in Belgium and you see huge crowds lining the entire course. The loop is usually less that a couple of kilometers and very compact so it's easy to walk around and spectate.

Wonderful set! Love #8!!!!! All are very well done!
Thx, Karen. #8 was fun - I was panning the riders as they entered the sand using some fill flash and a slow shutter of around 1/10 sec.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom