Cygnet joy-riding

Discussion in 'Birds' started by TOLady, Jun 21, 2005.

1. As some of you may know, I had an unfortunately episode with a pair of mating swans last year. Well, all my efforts have finally been rewarded. A nesting pair have produced a little one. He's absolutely gorgeous and they seem proud to show him off to me. This is a sunset shot, hence the colours. I got off a few hundred shots before the night breezes started and I was still a few miles from port. Isn't he a cutie??
    original.
    This was the proud parents-to-be on May 6. It's unusual for them to only have one egg but maybe the parks people took all but one for population control. Last year they just oiled all the eggs and there were no babies around.
    original.

2. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    One of the best nature photos I've seen a long time!
    Jarrell

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sandi,
    I will bet that is the proudest image you have ever taken..

that is perfect and beautifull

Beautiful littly swan

4. Thanks so much, Jarrell and Gale. I was hoping these shots wd look as good on screen as they did on the chimping. A big fat "YESSSSS" echoed through the swamp when I reviewed these. I just kept shooting as long as they stayed around, which was about 1.5 hours.
    I'm so happy to finally get some cygnet shots after over a year of paddling, shooting and waiting. Thanks for sharing my joy.

5. Aww, what a cutie, nicely done.

Martin

6. Micah

Micah

May 8, 2005
    Sandi,

I knew I heard the echoes of a YAHOOOOO way down here in bastions of the hot desert.

Simply a superb shot! Way to go, Sandi

Mary

7. Thanks so much, Martin and Mary. I've spent 14 months waiting for this shot. A lot of cold rainy-day paddles, sore aching muscles, cold wet feet but I finally got my cygnet shots. This is one curious little guy so I'm heading back on Thursday to shoot him some more. He's very curious about the lens and my kayak, but the father would pick him up by a wing with his beak and put him back behind the adults. I'll edit up a series for those interested.

8. That is a money shot for sure. Fantastic Sandi.

9. Sandi, cute just doesn't seem to cut it for this wonderful image. You would win almost any nature competition with this shot. Way to go and your perserverance has been handsomely rewarded. I just showed this image to my daughter and granddaughter and they said "that is the cutest thing I have ever seen." You made their day. :D

10. Sandi;

What a magnificent shot! A just reward for all those long hours of waiting and working.

Brian

11. Nice feather detail in this shot, Sandi! You must be really proud and excited!

12. Sandy WOw just s suberb shot you sure have done your long quest well with this shot, one of the best I have seen, I am sure you must be estatic for the baby and the shot your hard work paid off

13. Thank you all for your kind words - yes, this picture means so much and not just for the capture, but for the long hours invested in trying to get it. Those National Geog guys get all my respect, waiting hours in dreadful weather to get the right shot. This was at the end of a very long day paddling, did about 28 kms, and the evening was warm. I just didn't want to go in. Decided to stay out and see what the evening brought me even tho I knew I'd end up paddling home in the dark (w/head lamp and rear flashers of course). There was no one around and these three stuck to me like glue. I got some fantastic shots, if you want to see more, visit http://www.pbase.com/sjackson/summer2005
    Once again, many thanks for your words and thoughts. I do love the look on his little face! :)

14. Brew

Brew Guest

Those are some wonderful captures to say the least!!!

15. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh, Sandi, that just made me smile. My youngest son who is almost 2 is sitting here next to me and saw it and said "pretty"...out of the mouths of babes....You were well rewarded for staying out past dark on that shot as well as the others in your gallery....wonderful, just wonderful!

16. Beautifully done Sandy, awesome capture....you should be excited with those, hope you print them out ;-)

17. Contest winner. The little guy is fantastic. You can be proud of that Picture Sandi. Frame it.
    Pete

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I can't add much to what has already been said Sandi except -- Great Shot!! :wink:

19. Wow! :shock: Oh my... that cygnet shot is just incredible! That is way beyond cute! ;-) I found myself saying "Awwwww!", so that should count for something. :lol: It's nice to see all that time and effort finally rewarded, so Sandi, a big thanks for sharing that outcome with us. 8)

20. Thank you all so much for your kind words of praise and encouragement. I found I was losing quite a few kayaking shots with the 70-200VR and finally figured out why - SLOW DOWN! I was doing too much rapid firing. That lens needs patience, I'd brace my elbows tight and then squeeze. Now about 98% of shots are crystal sharp. Getting used to the change in DOF from the coolpix line has been my most troublesome problem. All shots were very shallow DOF. Of course, moving subjects and moving kayak don't help! I'm getting there, I'm getting there...
    You folks have given me encouragement through all this transistion to DSLR and I thank you for it. Seeing these pics, now I'm really glad I bought this whole setup. Poor 5700 feels so abandoned! LOL