D-90 wedding advice

B

bills

I have been shooting weddings for years using a Rolli twin lens but now I have a Nikon D-90 with a SB 800 flash. Could someone tell me what setting they use when shooting weddings using the same equipment as I have.

Thanks,
Bill

Also conditions play a big role. Shooting indoors in say a church is different than shooting outdoors in a park. Even time of day for outdoor settings and type of light (full sun, shade, etc..) will change what settings you use.

In general (outdoors), I expose camera meter to the background or just a hair underexposed on the background, and set the flash for the subjects. I usually have to throw a ND filter on as well to block enough light so that I can use a larger aperture for DOF as well.

Indoors is a different game....are the ceilings too high for bounce flash, are you even allowed to use flash, do you need distance (i.e. long lens), etc....

not at all familar with a Rolli twin lens - so more of a question really, would not the same settings on the rolli be applicable to use on the d90?

I don't know exactly the quality of high iso on d90 but I am guessing it's probably good to 800iso (and possibly 1600) - what speed film did you shoot on the rolli ?

Just as Nate said, it all depends on the settings of where your shooting. Is it indoors? in a dark lit church? outside? sunny? shady?

And are you sure youll be able to use a flash? Some churches dont allow the flashes. Youre going to need to play around after checking out the settings of the church/area your shooting.

I have been shooting weddings for years using a Rolli twin lens but now I have a Nikon D-90 with a SB 800 flash. Could someone tell me what setting they use when shooting weddings using the same equipment as I have.

Thanks,
Bill

I have to say i find it a bit alarming you have to ask? Using the camera should be self explanitary as you can pre shot the venue (s) and experimnet, finding the settings you need. You surly need to have this sorted before the big day.
However, alot of settings will be simular to your earlier days.

I dont use a d90 but have read here and elsewhere its high iso is good.
I would however tend to set the lowest iso value you need or can use on the day, say 200. perhaps set a maximum iso value of 800 to be sure, depends on final print size?

For groups outside an f number of f8 perhaps, Aperture mode depending on lens, distance etc.
You will need to stop down perhaps for some detail shots insuide (F4 -5.6), signing registry?
The flash should be fine on its ittl setting, perhaps -1 to fill or -2 outside again depending on the day.

Grab a friend / model, go to the venue and test shoot.

Latest threads

Top Bottom